Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HDS LIve Ground Speed, and moving map erratic - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Slot Fish

Default HDS LIve Ground Speed, and moving map erratic

Morning gents!

Tried searching for the subject, but didn’t find anything.

I have a new Lowrance HDS 12 Live unit. Everything appears to be working well, but the ground speed varies consistently up & down when under 2.5 MPH. This applies also to the moving map, the map rotates constantly back & forth when under 2.5 MPH.

I had a smaller Humminbird unit that did the same thing that was corrected with a software patch. Checking the Lowrance update site lists updates, but does not show the content of the update. Does anyone know if an update will correct these issues?

Thanks in advance!

Redwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Keeper

Sounds like GPS problem. Dont know about Lowrance but check your settings. Probably something simple.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Morning gents!

Tried searching for the subject, but didn’t find anything.

I have a new Lowrance HDS 12 Live unit. Everything appears to be working well, but the ground speed varies consistently up & down when under 2.5 MPH. This applies also to the moving map, the map rotates constantly back & forth when under 2.5 MPH.

I had a smaller Humminbird unit that did the same thing that was corrected with a software patch. Checking the Lowrance update site lists updates, but does not show the content of the update. Does anyone know if an update will correct these issues?

Thanks in advance!

Redwood

I'm having the same problem with the GPS speed reading on my HDS Live12. I updated the software to the latest, 19.1 thinking that would have the fix, no. I sent Lowrance an email, after 10 days of nothing I called. Someone with a very thick accent advised me to do a soft reset, which I will try and let you know if that helps. Did you find another fix for this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Slot Fish

cmd,

Researched the issue, and found that if you go into the settings in waypoints, trails and change the gps update rate to once per second, it helps a little bit.
It looks like the true solution is to purchase the Point 1 external antenna for another $200.....
Old 07-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Wallhanger

One way to stop the map from jumping is going into your settings and set the map to always point north up. If you have course up, the map will jump around more.

Marty
Old 07-24-2019, 08:16 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
cmd,

Researched the issue, and found that if you go into the settings in waypoints, trails and change the gps update rate to once per second, it helps a little bit.
It looks like the true solution is to purchase the Point 1 external antenna for another $200.....

Thanks for the reply. I tried this, and it did nothing to help. I finally got a response back from Lowrance, telling me to update to V19.1. I had already done that, and it solved nothing. This is a problem for them. I spent 3K on a unit, and I expect it to work properly. I have my case # active, and I will let you know when I hear back again on this issue. Thanks
Old 07-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Wallhanger

I am running 19.1 on my Live units as well and it does the same. It has to be the internal GPS, because when mine is linked to my Point 1 everything works fine.
NPAA #803
Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMesserschmidt View Post
I am running 19.1 on my Live units as well and it does the same. It has to be the internal GPS, because when mine is linked to my Point 1 everything works fine.

Pretty infuriating to spend this much money on something, then have to buy another $200 accessory (which I will not do) to have it work correctly. My HDS Gen1 GPS speed reading worked perfectly fine.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 AM
Wallhanger

Point 1 will give you compass heading and true position on your graph. I'd have one even if you weren't having problems, and the fact that it would solve your existing problem kinda makes it a no brainer.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Point 1 will give you compass heading and true position on your graph. I'd have one even if you weren't having problems, and the fact that it would solve your existing problem kinda makes it a no brainer.

I don't think so ltrain. The reason being, I've ran a Gen1 HDS with ZERO problems with GPS speed or position for years. Now I "upgrade" to newer technology, and it doesn't work right. Do you think any guy wants to spend another $200 on an accessory to make something work like it should already, right after spending $3K? Kinda a no brainer to me.

Last edited by cmdworker; 07-25-2019 at 08:03 AM.