Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
tipping your guide - Page 9 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 05-28-2021, 10:10 PM
cutting edge

[QUOTE=slayerfish;6564432]Hey Hamsta, I get my butt handed to me plenty. But the thing is I learn from my *** whooping'. Put me anywhere Ill catch fish. Just a fact-[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you could catch fish in the Dead Sea.....according to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2021, 09:31 AM
Wallhanger

Well, I'm not a fishing god either in my mind or anybody else's... just ask HRG.. :)

But, I find it enjoyable to either catch fish or just fish, at my age I no longer fish tournaments or feel the need to fill the freezer.
I do enjoy the companionship of having others in the boat and just getting out and enjoying life.

So for me a guide isn't something I give much thought to.
But, if I was going to spend time on a lake on one of my bucket list lakes, say some lake just south of the artic circle, and it's a once in a life time deal, ya...I would give serious thought to a guide.

How much I tipped him, like I said before, would be how well did he/she/it meet the expectations of what we had agreed to before the trip.

As far as the cost of fish and what it costs to catch them, if ya can't understand the the whole sequence of a fishing trip, you probably won't understand why it doesn't matter.

So for the op if he's still here, you have various amount of tip money listed and opinions on whether to tip or not, pick what sounds good for ya and enjoy the outing. imho

Al
Old 05-31-2021, 10:07 AM
Wallhanger

The June issue of In-Fisherman has a good article about the subject. By Stange.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

I dont see anything wrong with tipping either. Personal preference. I just dont do it with few exceptions. I dont think it is an easy job nor do I think it is a rocket science. When I have a guide who does not use sonars or calls his bodies who went out day before to find out where the fish are and let me get my limit, then I will re-consider. Most of my trips are just that and if it was not for me not having storage or time to haul boat and stay more days, I would probably not get a guide in most cases. The only time I regularly tip is while fishing out of lodge in CAN on new lake, as the rates are much lower and it is usually lodge help/family doing guide duties on the side,using 16 foot boat without electronics.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:30 AM
Slot Fish

[QUOTE=REW;6563782]Actually, I have to ask the question.

Why tip?

When you are paying $400-$500 for the day - it would seem that the guide is being well paid for their service.

Let me ask a question.

If you go to a doctor and undergo a surgery, do you give the surgeon a tip?

If you go to an auto mechanic to repair the car, do you give the mechanic a tip?

If you go to the store and buy a new rod and reel, do you give the attendant a tip?

If a guide is worth their salt - so to speak - it would seem that the price for a guided fishing trip should fully pay for the guides services. If not, then the price of the guide trip should be raised so that it does pay for the services.

Best wishes[/QUOTE]

I think there is more to it than this. The professions listed above do not have the weather risk, the risk of you breaking their equipment, losing $$ of tackle,or have to put up with you and your buddies attitude for 4-8hrs. Not every client is a pleasant one. To me a tip is an expression of gratitude for their expertise and patience.
Lowrance 12 HDS Live
Humminbird Helix 9 & 8
Minnkota Ulterra w/ Ipilot Link
Old 06-03-2021, 12:51 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=slayerfish;6564432]Hey Hamsta, I get my butt handed to me plenty. But the thing is I learn from my *** whooping'. Put me anywhere Ill catch fish. Just a fact-[/QUOTE]

Hey Mike, I got a low spot in my parking lot that holds water after a heavy rain, , want to give it a try? :stirthepot:
Old 06-03-2021, 07:54 PM
Keeper

You must be really great. You need to be a guide and see what the real world is like!