Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Garage door height? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Minnow

Default Garage door height?

Ranger manual gives me all the specs on dimensions of my new boat except the height on trailer. I am waiting on my new Ranger 621fs and am currently redoing my barn to allow for the easy storage of it. The garage door has to go on the eave side of the barn which is the side that is holding the weight of the trusses. So I am already stuck with a 12" board supporting the trusses and it is a 10ft high sidewall that I cannot change. So maximum height door I could put in would be 9' but that makes the opener situation difficult as they typically need 15-18" of space for a good smooth track. 8ft door is not a problem but I am wondering if I should try to up that door height to 8'6" or 8'9". Any Ranger 621 owners out there who can tell me what height door they have? I don't want to have to deal with trimming motor down or anything like that. I just want to back it up in my barn and be done with it. I am making the opening 12' wide just so I have plenty of space on each side from the nearly 9' wide trailer. I would like to ensure I have plenty of headroom too. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

My son has a 620 with a Verado that just makes it under his 8' high door. A friend of his has a 620 with an E Tec that he can fit under a 7' door, so the engine will have a lot to do with how high it sits.
I would go with the 8'6" door in case I bought a bigger toy in the future.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 PM
Wallhanger

If it would help, you could always put a side mount opener in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

Are you putting the door in yourself or having it done? Any garage door installer has run into situations and can install low headroom track and hardware and there are openers that will work.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 PM
Slot Fish

I'm having my garage door redone right now to accomodate a boat, and with my 9.5 ft clearance I am putting in an 8 ft door and opener. Menards helped me figure out what I needed. They can tell you based on the size of the door what radius track you will have and what clearance that needs.

For instance, my 8 ft x 19'4'' door has a 15'' raduis, that needs 12 inches above the door leaving me plenty of room for the opener
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Wallhanger

Also note that most outboards are recommended to be stored in the DOWN position.

I only have a 7' gap due to the elbow on the door lifter being in exactly the wrong spot, so I have to lower my motor before putting it in the garage (different boat). Isn't really a huge issue, only takes a couple seconds. I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker for you.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Bass,
Go with a jack shaft style garage door opener as follows:

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...ies/model-8500

This way, the garage door opener fist on the front wall beside the main torsion spring garage door shaft.

Then you can put your two garage rails tight to the ceiling with no center track needed and no opener hanging out in the middle of the garage.

In many cases, this allows a person to have 12-15 inches more head room with the garage door fully open.

Check them out, I think one of these might work out very well for your particular needs.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Minnow

Thank you. I have never heard of or seen an opener like that one. I will look more into that style for sure. As for storing outboard in down position is that true? I have never heard that and had stored my old Reata up with the transom saver for several years. Is that just for drainage purposes? If so, I think the newer motors are designed to drain out even when using a transom saver. But not sure on that.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Wallhanger

This image from Menard's website may help you determine your headroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CommercialHeadroomSpecs_Aug12.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	249146  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

My barn has 10 ft. sidewalls and I have a 9' door installed without a problem, just fyi.