Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Leaky boat advice - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-25-2021, 05:28 AM
Minnow

Some years back I purchased a new Deep V 14ft Star Craft boat . On my first outing I found a small leek. When I called the dealer and he made arrangements for me to drop it off to the Star Craft Plant . Close by me in Indiana. A week latter they called and said it was ready for pick up. The plant manager took me for a tour of the plant . Should me older boats that they were repairing ,fixing and repainting. Most were in the 18-22ft size some with cabins that they redone. When done they looked like new boats . He said (at that time . You could pick up na older vused boat ,have it redone fo less then half of a new boat . Not sure if they still do that anymore. Couldn't tell what they did but boat never leaked after the fix. My want to call and check with a boat builder for their advice.I would seek out a experianced welder that has and do repairs on boats. Dopends on the boat it might not worth putting the money into it. Does sounds like the person selling the boat was not up front with the problems or the buyer never asked or looked over the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2021, 11:07 PM
Minnow

Old things a renewed; their cost is vast but not the same as before, and it does not look like before. If you try to revive this boat so adjust with price, and if you don't, you should sell this and buy a new one. It's better option for your friend.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:21 PM
Wallhanger

the simple repair if it's a flat surface would be to get a small sheet of aluminum cut it into larger pieces than the repair. clean the area well and patch the areas using bolts or rivets with ample amounts of 3m 5200 marine sealant underneath the patch and then completely seal the patches and bolt heads. it's sealed for life. this stuff would seal the cracks alone for the next 50 yrs or so now add the patch and the repair will outlast the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2021, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Velasco View Post
Old things a renewed; their cost is vast but not the same as before, and it does not look like before. If you try to revive this boat so adjust with price, and if you don't, you should sell this and buy a new one. It's better option for your friend.
I concur with 3M5200 with a metal patch. To repair a leaking seam, use a heat gun to expand the metal, then trim the tip on the 5200 to it's smallest hole, then hold the tip against the seam to force a bead of 5200 into it. I used it on numerous leaking seams, including leaks on the keel in the past. I have also used steel re enforced JB Weld to repair and fill in holes on the transom of aluminum boats, never had a patch fail.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

I thought this thread had died, so I left it in it's grave. Update: I welded a small patch over the cracked areas. I only had access to a wire feed with aluminum wire, and I would have preferred a TIG welder.

I then covered the entire area with Flex Seal and tried it out, no leaks.

My buddy then sold the boat, after I explained to the buyer what I had done to repair the leaks. He ended up making $500 over what he paid for it, and we no longer have to worry about it.

He has already purchased a different boat (no leaks on this one), and moved on.

Thank you for all the replies!
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L