Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Ghost and the Walleye fishermen - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-03-2021, 11:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default The Ghost and the Walleye fishermen

So...i purchased and installed the Ghost after doing what i thought was a lot of research. While it is a well made unit and configures with my live units there is some shortcomings. Unlike any of the other trolling motors while in either Heading or Course lock (basically the same) it seems that you cannot make course corrections,if you try and make an adjustment it exits out of the auto pilot mode. For me as a contour angler this is a big deal and as of yet have been unable to find a workaround. Without a software upgrade or some input from other anglers this unit will be no good to me. Has anyone on the Walleye trolling side figured anything out?

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2021, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

**** Yellow Fever, you just cannot catch a break with trolling motors.
I too was looking hard at the Ghost for my next motor. If Lowrance does not address this issue via a software update then that's probably a deal breaker. Would really like a brushless Terrova, amazing Minn kota hasn't developed a brushless motor.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 11-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
**** Yellow Fever, you just cannot catch a break with trolling motors.
I too was looking hard at the Ghost for my next motor. If Lowrance does not address this issue via a software update then that's probably a deal breaker. Would really like a brushless Terrova, amazing Minn kota hasn't developed a brushless motor.

You are right...it is useless to me the way it runs right now. May be ok for Bass guys. The reason i took my Ulterra off is it is very noisy and the spotlock while ok isn't great and i cast in real shallow water so i wanted something a little better in these issues (which is what i got) but doesn't fit my trolling needs. I spoke to the Lowrance Tech support and he forwards every inquiry to the engineers pushing a software change... I should have clued in when he told me he didn't have one and he is a walleye guy.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
You are right...it is useless to me the way it runs right now. May be ok for Bass guys. The reason i took my Ulterra off is it is very noisy and the spotlock while ok isn't great and i cast in real shallow water so i wanted something a little better in these issues (which is what i got) but doesn't fit my trolling needs. I spoke to the Lowrance Tech support and he forwards every inquiry to the engineers pushing a software change... I should have clued in when he told me he didn't have one and he is a walleye guy.
Have you tried using the autopilot feature by dropping waypoints on the contour edge? I have done this and it maps that edge perfectly.
Yes it takes a few more minutes to map it out and use the waypoints, but I use the genesis live and shading to highlight the areas I want to fish on. Then create the points.
Lowrance 16's and 12's at the wheel and bow
Old 11-04-2021, 11:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marden88 View Post
Have you tried using the autopilot feature by dropping waypoints on the contour edge? I have done this and it maps that edge perfectly.
Yes it takes a few more minutes to map it out and use the waypoints, but I use the genesis live and shading to highlight the areas I want to fish on. Then create the points.

That sounds like a pretty good work around if you are working an area wheres no boat traffic. I know in my case when I fish spring coho 9n Michigan or walleye on Erie there can be alot of boat traffic. Going in and out of autopilot or making the 1 degree per press course adjustments is not only maddening but can also be dangerous. Why not just make it like every other trolling motor???? Doesn’t make sense
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 11-04-2021, 11:42 AM
Minnow

Yeah I agree that there should be an update to allow for the change of course with the push of a button like MK and MG
Old 11-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marden88 View Post
Yeah I agree that there should be an update to allow for the change of course with the push of a button like MK and MG

And i want this motor if i get my new rig but without that update I just can't.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 11-19-2021, 04:28 AM
Wallhanger

I am thinking there are legal reasons. Patents are usually behind many of the major features missing. I am betting JO will be hanging onto all the accumulation of tweaks and advances from the past 10 or so years they have been smart enough to protect.
Another factor makes it tough to make changes and corrections with new products is all the electronic chip problems during the past couple years. Lowrance and Garmin have the power to do big things, but they will have to deal with the legal stuff and see if HB is wanting to deal or hang on till the tech becomes unprotected. You can bet there will be a brushless model or 2 from Minn kota announced in the near future. JMO Bob
Old 11-19-2021, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

Just curious: In over 30 years of owning several trolling motors, I've only changed brushes once. Granted, I don't fish as often as some, but I spend a lot of hours on the water. So, outside of changing brushes, what's the advantage of brushless trolling motors?
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Old 11-19-2021, 07:18 AM
Minnow

Longer run time is the main reason for me, when i switched from the Xi5 to the Ghost I increased my battery life by 45-50%.
The Ghost and Force TM's are super quiet too, to the point where you forget they are even on.