Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Question about towing a boat... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Bunzey unlogged

It feels most people underestimate the full weight of their rig. My previous rig was 850 lb hull w/60 e-tec... the scale came in at 2400lbs w/ 18 gallon fuel and gear where I was guessing about 1900lbs.

My new rig, 1850 Reata (1780 lbs hull) w/ 40 gallon fuel and all gear (no kicker or anything extreme)... scale comes in at about 4400lbs where I was guessing about 3800lbs.

I tow with a Honda pilot rated for 4500 lbs for probably about 6000 miles of towing so far. It handles the tow well relating to power/transmission and traction/braking... suspension however, while acceptable, could be better. Would a 7000lb towing machine do it better? Without a doubt, but the rice burner does a fine job (although I do baby it), and it was the solution to me getting my boat... the wife got her Pilot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Slot Fish

Default A bit OT

Hey Bunzey,

What kind of mileage do you get while towing with that Pilot?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Bunzey Unlogged

Oh yea, good point... I guess the suspension isn't the only thing that could be improved on... Towing is 10MPG or so around town. About 12MPG on the highway at 65-70mph. I suspect a full size machine would do a little better on the towing mileage.

Actually, I've not been real impressed with the mileage on the Pilot, period... not towing, about 16 around town babying it and I've never tested highway other than towing, but would guess only 19, 20 or so. It's only like a 4700lb vehicle and I would have expected better, especially given they brag about the mileage.

And I don't like the looks of the darn thing either, even after 2 years it won't grow on me. But, it is a nice running, well built machine and it makes the wife happy. I only drive it on the weekends towing the boat which then my focus is on the boat, which I love very very much and makes everything ok
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Slot Fish

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Wallhanger

Bunzey:

Towing that rig of yours, I doubt a full-size truck would get any better fuel mileage at the speeds you describe. I've had three full-size Chevy trucks towing the same 3100 lb boat/trailer over the past 17 years and they all got 11-13 mpg at 65-70 mph.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Bunzey Unlogged

I suppose I'm not so bad off then... it just feels painful
Old 08-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

I get about 13 pulling my 21 ft Grady white with my Super Duty V10.

of course its much safer and handles it perfectly since it made for that kind of load..

Hope you dont get into a tight situation while towing at highway speeds as the boat will become the boss and that Honda will just be along for the ride.