Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
crappie question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 11:19 AM
holliswuzamember

Default crappie question

don't know if this has been addressed before,..if so I'm sorry.
For years when I lived near a lake,..about this time of year, after the tourists went home and the lake was quiet, I would go out onto the lake and there would be groups of crappies so near the surface that you would see a bunch of fins on the surface. In groups of about 20-50 feet wide,..looking over the lake you could see maybe a dozen just in your view,..seems like the lake was filled with crappie,.

Could drag a spinner thru then without catching one, you could catch as many as you wanted,.

Question,..why were they doing this? i don't think it was a spawning effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve seen that before too. My bet is there’s baitfish schooled there that they are after.

I love my truck, my wife, my dog and my boat (not necessarily in that order) and I like MAYBE 3 people

2020 Ford Explorer ST (Sport Tuned)
2021 Crestliner Pro Tiller 1850
2021 Mercury 90 hp Tiller
Ulterra 72" 36v with iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 7 G3 SI on bow
Humminbird Helix 9 G4 SI at helm
Minn kota Talons 2-12 footers
Trailer Valet 5X (can't push it into garage anymore, need help-works pretty slick)
Old 09-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

We did a lot of crappie fishing when I was a kid growing up in MN, and we were always on the lookout for that phenomenon. I don't know for a certainty why it happens, but I've always believed that the swirl of a school of them right at the surface - which we called a "crappie roil" - was due to them very actively feeding on bait fish or insects there. In any event the crappies are ridiculously easy to catch while they're doing it, as you mentioned. Always seemed to me that it happened most often in the spring and fall.

In the center of the attached picture you can see it happening on one of my ponds. Not a very big roil, but then I didn't stock all that many black crappies in the pond and it was only the year before, so the population hasn't yet taken off.

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crappie roil.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	321490  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2020, 04:52 AM
Keeper

Just started fishing Crappie a few years ago. I see it in the fall on my sonar where the fish are near the surface. Have picked up several by long lining light jigs behind the boat.
Thinking of trying my in line planer boards to bring the bait to the side so the boat does not spook them, but I am sure the crappie would not trip the boards and am not sure how far they would get pulled back. Maybe have to try one more time before the water gets too cold and they go back deep.
dvl2700

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Old 09-19-2020, 06:33 AM
holliswuzamember

Not sure in your lake they spook easily,..but in the one I fish its not hard to get near enough to them and cast into the pile,..again generally get one in every cast or two,..maybe because there is a lot of speedboat traffic all summer they are used to noise and motion,(?)
Old 09-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Keeper

Default smells like crappie

Have you ever noticed when the crappie bunch up in shallow water in the spring time that you can smell them ? I routinely find them this way only in the spring time.