Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Any idea why Lund uses Shorelander? - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-30-2020, 10:50 AM
walleyec walleyec is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
HotRunnerGuy pointed out one good reason. But there is a reason ShoreLand'r set up business next to the Lund factory-

-Back when Lund was considering offering trailers, the dealers were polled and the preponderance of Lunds were being sold with ShoreLand'r trailers by Lund Dealers. The majority of Dealers were already established ShorLand'r dealers and wanted to remain that way.

Lund dealers can sell whatever other trailers they want under their Lunds and some other trailer brands are regionally popular. For example if a dealer is located close to the Trailmaster factory, for example...and has been using them for years and happy with them... he very well may choose to continue and is absolutely free to do so.

However, Lund offers ShoreLand'r for convenience . Many dealers are not close to trailer factories. Perhaps not a well know fact...but, with ShoreLand'r, for manyif not most, models of Lund boat...Lund lists a default, or "standard" model trailer. ... but also offers upgraded model trailers as well.

Personally ... being a Dealer in big old Montana with long distances involved...I almost always ordered my inventory with an upgrade trailer.


For a dealer...a really nice thing about getting a ShoreLand'r with the Lund boat is... the boats arrive at the dealership, and come off the Lund truck already sitting on trailers. That saves a buttload of work... A few minor adjustment tweaks ...and we are good to go.


What kind of tweaks do you have to make normally?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #32  
Old 09-30-2020, 10:02 PM
T Mac's Avatar
T Mac T Mac is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Broadwater County, Montana.
Posts: 9,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyec View Post
What kind of tweaks do you have to make normally?
Things like fine tuning tongue weight, and bow stop height. Like making sure you have enough tongue weight after adding weight to the rear..such as adding a kicker...Or tweaking the adjustment of the winchstand and bow stop so the bow eye comes into the bow stop level... Not lifting the bow, nor pulling down on the bow. You can fine tue a Shoreland'r anyway you want.

However, you can't make many adjustments on a welded trailer.
All is well if the fit is spot on... If not...you live must with it.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-01-2020, 06:43 PM
1100 Remington Man 1100 Remington Man is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Just from a physics viewpoint, the carrying surface area (weight per square inch) of a bunk trailer is far superior to that of any roller trailer.
Shoreland'r themselves say; "Our standard roller contacts the hull surface in an area of about one square inch. This equates to 125 pounds per square inch (psi) of pressure each place the roller contacts the hull.
Smaller diameter, hard rollers used by some manufacturers may only have .5 square inches of contact area per roller, which increases pressure to 250 psi at that contact point.
When the contact pressure exceeds 170 psi, we at ShoreLandír either add more rollers or go to our cushion roller which has a two square inch hull contact area."

https://askpowersports.com/Trailers-...3-a42b014cd7d3

Take your typical bunk of about 4'-5' in length and even if only 1 square inch of the entire bunk cross section is in contact with your hull, that's still 96-120 sq. in. carrying the weight of your boat.
3,000#/96" = 31.25 lbs./sq.in.
3,000#/120" = 25 lbs./sq.in.
6,000#/96" = 62.5 lbs.sq.in.
6,000#/120" = 50 lbs./sq.in.

Anonymouse will take 25#-62.5# per square inch over 125# per square inch all day long and well into the next century - PARTICULARLY when you hit a big pothole and the boat goes up and comes crashing back down on that pinpointed roller support.
Ever seen what a woman's spike heels can do to linoleum?
For those of you owning aluminum hulls the pinpoint impact resistance is much higher than it is for ABS plastic, fiberglass or plywood hulls (in descending order) by a significant factor. (PC graphite/kevlar is right up there however.)
Still, take a 1 in. square punch & put it against your aluminum boat hull and innocently whack it with a 6# maul and Anonymouse will guarantee you it'll dent noticeably, if not punch right through after a few of those.

Fiberglass boats are designed for sailing conditions and generally meet and exceed the requirements of the job but when it comes to something outside their design criteria (like impact loads on small cross-sections) they just aren't built to withstand that sort of thingy.
You'd think boat manufacturers would have a red light go off about the time they consider the point-source loading that rollers impart to a hull, but they just don't, for some reason.

Roller trailers should be outlawed as a crime against boats.
Boat Lives Matter.
This is some Great information. I have only had two boat trailers and both were Shorelander trailers one painted and my current one a Galvanized a 1995 year and It still looks good. I have had to like most trailers retired it twice with new lights, now it has LED lights so maybe that has come to a end.
I have been towing a boat since I was 16 years old and I am 59 years old now. How many flats have I had in that time One and that was just a couple years ago. I check the Air Pressure once a month, read in Outdoor Life Magazine most trailer tires overheat when under inflated.
Read this when I was a kid and it has worked for Me.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-02-2020, 05:31 AM
goldman goldman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Johnston, Iowa
Posts: 937
Default

So... I’ve owned several Shorelandr trailers over the years, and tomorrow I’m all set to write a check for another one. My question is, what’s the matter with Shorelandr trailers? My Shorelandr’s have always hauled my boat(s) just fine, they load easily, pull easily, etc.

I had a Yacht Club roller trailer back in the 1980’s I wasn’t too impressed with...it was flimsy, and the rollers left dents in the hull of my Sylvan Super Snapper.

Last edited by goldman; 10-02-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-02-2020, 05:53 AM
northernbite northernbite is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Corry, Pa.,USA
Posts: 1,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyreprich View Post
Don't think I have ever seen a trailer with 2 spare tires mounted on it.
Have to say I think this to be a good idea.
Well you haven't seen mine or my cousins. If you travel in Canada you'll, sometime, be glad you had 2 spares.

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-02-2020, 06:42 AM
ndfishin ndfishin is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ND
Posts: 111
Default

I have a Shorelander trailer on my 2020 1875 Pro V Limited I only wished I would have opted for the tandem axle. Also while looking at the bunk setup I noticed they only use a 3/8 bolt on each end of the bunks. Seems kind of light to hold up whole boat with 4 3/8" bolts. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-02-2020, 10:09 AM
T Mac's Avatar
T Mac T Mac is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Broadwater County, Montana.
Posts: 9,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman View Post
My question is, what’s the matter with Shorelandr trailers? My Shorelandr’s have always hauled my boat(s) just fine, they load easily, pull easily, etc.
If it is the correct size and set up correctly... nothing.
They are my choice and I like the fact that I can make adjustments to the set up.
When there can be a problem is when the trailer is minimalistic for the job at hand.. and/or the fit is not adjusted properly.

We use trailers in extreme conditions, here. Because of that, we always pushed BUNK trailers.
In Montana, Walleye fishermen routinely drive 150-to 400miles (round trip) for a day trip and 1000-1500 R/T for a long weekend..Trips into Ft Peck can mean anywhere from 50 to 140 miles on rough, pot- holed, rutted up, dirt roads. These numbers may sound crazy but they are factual. I am one of those guys.
Understanding the situation, we sold mostly galvanized trailers.

I have used Shoreland'r for 30 years and sold many hundreds of them. Back a couple of decades, we lost some sales to other dealers because we were quoting a more robust model trailer. We insisted on using the upgraded trailer (such as tandems on 18' and up, heavily outfitted, boats). ...Also, we were fussy on the set up (adjusting the fit).
We lost a few sales due to that, but we experienced a very low number of issues with Shoreland'r...(not counting operator error)
Nowadays, most dealers sell heavier trailers and most are much more aware of how important the trailer is to a serious fishing rig being used by a serious fisherman...and everything is bigger

Over the years, because people wanted prettier trailers, we sold a few welded custom trailers... Those prettier trailers used in our harsh conditions frequently yielded results that were less satifactory than the Shoreland'rs did.

However... if you live near your point of use, and have a nice paved road all the way to the ramp. Just about any trailer might suffice.

Sorry for the long winded reply.

Last edited by T Mac; 10-02-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-02-2020, 07:25 PM
goldman goldman is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Johnston, Iowa
Posts: 937
Default

Thank you T Mac for the reply. Iím purchasing an Alumacraft Classic 165 tiller, with a 50 Yamaha. Dry weight for boat, motor, trolling motor, with batteries etc I figure right at 1300lbs +/- . It has a 2200lb trailer under it. That oughta do me.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-03-2020, 04:38 AM
Bobby Winds's Avatar
Bobby Winds Bobby Winds is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: WNY
Posts: 9,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Things like fine tuning tongue weight, and bow stop height. Like making sure you have enough tongue weight after adding weight to the rear..such as adding a kicker...Or tweaking the adjustment of the winchstand and bow stop so the bow eye comes into the bow stop level... Not lifting the bow, nor pulling down on the bow. You can fine tue a Shoreland'r anyway you want.

However, you can't make many adjustments on a welded trailer.
All is well if the fit is spot on... If not...you live must with it.
If your referring to a Trailmaster Trailer being welded the front bow winch stand support/stop is not welded to the trailer and is FULLY adjustable for everything you described above.

MANY Trailmaster Trailers are Custom Built for boat manufactures. Below are links showing how many different trailers are made just for Polar Kraft and Smoker Craft Boats. Not to mention they also will build a Custom trailer for any boat owner.

https://trailmastertrailers.com/cust...r-kraft-boats/

https://trailmastertrailers.com/cust...r-craft-boats/

https://trailmastertrailers.com/

So you can see not only can a great welded trailer be Custom Built for your boat but also fully adjustable too.
__________________
2015 Polar Kraft Frontier 179WT
2015 E-TEC 90 HO
2015 Trailmaster trailer
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
DJT 2020
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-03-2020, 06:30 AM
Hot Runr Guy Hot Runr Guy is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Chicago, IL, USA.
Posts: 15,128
Default

I stopped at an Alumacraft dealer last weekend to look at a new Classic 165 Tiller, same thing, he puts welded Heritage trailers under his rigs, rather than the factory-offered Shoreland'rs.

HRG
__________________
"I've got a car with a trailer hitch, and a pocket full of money. Do you want to sell that boat today, or not?"
My Mentor, Bill Michalek, circa 1975
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.