Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Blood pressure monitor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Keeper

Default Blood pressure monitor

Does anybody use the automatic blood pressure monitor? Zillion different ones on Amazon, any make or model better than another. Or should I stick to older manual type, wife is retired nurse and could read it. Also need one with extra large cuff. My doctor said she bought one for home at Walmart but forgot ask her if automatic or manual. Want an accurate one. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

We have been using an OMRON cuff and blood pressure monitor for years.

WE find that it is extremely accurate.

https://www.target.com/p/omron-7-ser...s/-/A-13359545
Old 12-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Wallhanger

I get an infusion Mon and Tues every other week so they check my blood pressures 4x per week plus any Dr visits in between so I have a lot of experience with different methods. The wrist cuffs are an absolute joke and I've had several nurses and Dr's say throw it away. The clinic uses a machine they roll around and it is a little more stable but any time my pressure is high when I arrive I can ask for a manual reading and it is ALWAYS 10-20 points less than the machines. Same way when I was just in the hospital for 5 days undergoing a double bypass. The first two days in ICU I had a machine on watching everything and a nurse would come every 4 hours and check manually. The manual readings were lower, sometimes more than others, always more stable.

Long and short of it I trust the manual readings more than the machines. Your wife, being a nurse knows this, some nurses are better at blood pressure readings than others.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

I have an OMRON automatic blood pressure instrument, with a cuff for the upper arm (the kind of cuff used for manual measurements). I have checked it against BP readings taken manually and the agreement is very good. If/when this one wears out, I''ll buy another OMRON.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Keeper

Default Omron

Walmart carries them, which series is best?
Old 12-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

https://www.bestreviews.guide/omron-...&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=381543623188&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=1t1&google_params[adgroupid]=76772379734&google_params[campaignid]=6490998898&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9019476&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0|254&gclid=Cj0KCQiAx fzvBRCZARIsAGA7YMyvX6M2fDz3lYASdF1COCyxjjpE46k1EcM EVUB3EP4p5ZQvxWJhkLUaAg2PEALw_wcB
Old 12-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Wallhanger

Omron bp742n here. Also have an old school sphygmomanometer. Both are really close in readings
Old 12-22-2019, 11:58 AM
holliswusamember

Well I don't know about the poor accuracy of the wrist cuffs. I noticed that our large prestigious hospital now has been using them for a while now. As far as accuracy the only real accurate way of checking blood pressure is a needle into an artery. Of course that's not done except for certain studies.

Some considerations. At a large convention they asked doctors to check the blood pressure on a dummy that could be dialed to represent a certain blood pressure. They asked hundreds of doctors and nurses to register what they thought the blood pressure was. By the way the nurses were more accurate however the range of inaccuracies was incredible. Those of you who know how to take blood pressures with a stethoscope know to register the first and last strong beat however people's hearing apparently are different enough that there is an incredible amount of error in doing this. Some doctors and nurses registered the robot to be very dangerously high and yet others registered a low blood pressure. Okay now understand this test was backed by the company that sold automatic registering cuffs for both arm and wrist so they had a stake in this study. Their conclusion was however that their instruments were in the ballpark more than many doctors and nurses registerd.

It's important that many even professionals don't do proper procedures i.e. having your arm if it's an arm cuff it is to be at the level of your heart AND supported on something. If it's a wrist cuff it supposed to be also supported and your wrist is to be at the level of the heart.

Another variable is that blood pressures can vary quite rapidly and you're probably looking at being in the ballpark in the ranges as those numbers may change slightly every time you take it.( Some people get "white coat hypertension" Very high when someone takes it,.).Also should you look straight ahead and no talking during the test as these can actually greatly effect the reading in some people..
Old 12-22-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I've had the OMRON BP710 for a couple of years and it has matched the measurements my doctor takes.
Old 12-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Omron bp742n on sale right now on Omron website. Just got one and will go from 9-17 in. circumference arm. Called deal of the week for $37.00 and free shipping.

Last edited by Gone Again; 12-22-2019 at 03:38 PM.