Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fall fishing in North Carolina - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-04-2020, 10:12 AM
Minnow

Default Fall fishing in North Carolina

I'm new to this forum and new to walleye fishing. I live in NC and fish lake Gaston and Roanoke Rapids lake. I was wondering what are some good techniques for fall fishing for wallyeye in NC.. I've caught a few during in the late spring while fishing for stripers using live shad. Most info online dealing with fall fishing are for fishing up north. Would really appreciate any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2020, 09:41 PM
Keeper

Find informational articles, videos and/or you tube that concentrate on tactics that focus on the prey species that inhabit your lakes. Just a wild asz guess but shad based is what your fish focus on.

Find the baitfish, find the walleye sounds simple eh? Use your electronics to find the shad balls and troll cranks through them. Fish in the timber... troll spinnerbaits on lead core.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:54 AM
Wallhanger

I live in NC as well. I've been looking for areas to fish and am interested in other responses you may receive. The people I've talked to in the Asheville area fish for smallies or trout. No one ever mentions walleye.
Good luck
2007 Triton 220 LTS, 225 E-Tec -- sold
2013 Lund 1800 Tyee, 150 Merc 4S -- sold
2015 Lund 2000 Alaskan SS, Mercury 4S 115 CT -- sold
2018 Ranger RP190, 115 Yamaha VMax SHO -- sold

Boatless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Wallhanger

I also fish NC and have caught a total of 1 walleye at Lake Gaston in the last 25 years of pretty extensive fishing this general area. Yes, there are some walleyes in Gaston, but few if any actually fish for them. I did read somewhere that they stock Gaston with walleye. I accidentally caught mine using a drop shot rig with a live minnow under the big bridge while fishing for catfish. I also fish for crappie using live minnows, but otherwise I use artificial baits for everything else. We generally catch a little bit of everything while fishing for crappie, but no one else in my fishing group has ever caught a walleye in Gaston. I do not fish for stripers.

If you fish the western NC mountain lakes that have colder, clear, deep water, I think your chances of catching a walleye in NC will increase. We've caught some nice smallmouth bass, rainbow and lake trout, and largemouth bass in NC mountain lakes, but have not caught walleye there either. We also haven't specifically fished for them using the typical walleye techniques, but if there were many there, one would think we'd have caught one accidentally while fishing for other species.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Not NC, but Philpott lake in south central VA has a good walleye population I believe. A fellow that guides for crappie on Kerr, also guides for walleye on Philpott. Should find info on google.