Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Really nice flashlight - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Wallhanger

I use a Cree LED adjustable beam. $9.99 and uses AAA batteries.

Also, a Dorsy floating, waterproof LED for $6.98 which has a traditional feel do it and is tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for Streamlight. I have a rechargeable model that is amazing.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Keeper

Have enjoyed the Surefire lights for years, with CR123 lithium batteries that have a very long shelf life (years).
G2X Pro LED in yellow (I can find it when I drop it, or in a dark area) is a favorite. About $60, extremely durable.

https://www.brightguy.com/product/su...shlight-g2x-d/
Old 03-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Keeper

Default light

I have had older Streamlight . Bought 2 Nitecore 30 , they are phenomenal ! Multiple settings 1000 lumen max . Compact design takes a single 18650 battery. Only negative would be they get quite warm on highest setting, other than that best led light i have ever owned ! For the price and warranty , you will find it hard to beat them . Nitecore also makes a multitude of other lights.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Keeper

As for stream light I for got to mention. Their customer service is top notch. If your switch goes or the gaskets go bad just send it in with $ 10.00 for return shipping. They fix the light for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm phasing out all my non-rechargeable flashlights soon. Just too much darn money in batteries, no matter what type they take. If you use the flashlight fairly often, the upgrade to a rechargeable model pays for itself many times over. And I don't mean AA or AAA batteries you have to remove to charge. Those don't last long at all and your light will generally be dimmer because they're less volts than disposables. The batteries in Streamlights are amazing. Around 7 years and still going. It get's anywhere from 15-45+ minutes of use, every day, 365 days a year, taking dogs out, checking on home farm critters, and other things. Since I've owned it, I would have probably spent 100's of $ on disposable batteries in it.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I have a lot of flashlights, but only one EDC:
OLIGHT 90 Lumens i3E EOS PMMA TIR Lens AAA Flashlight Compact Keychain Flashlite EDC Flashlight.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg View Post
Every led ive ever owned, and most were cheapies, seemed to eat batteries super fast. Even just sitting unused they seem to run down batteries. Anybody else have this problem or am I just cursed?
Nope, not cursed.
That's why they invented rechargable bacheries.
Alkaloid bacheries discharge by themselves too (12 months or more), albeit far slower than Ni-CAD (30 days) or Ni-MH (2 months or up to 6 months for the "Enerloop" technology ones).

Personally Anonymouse uses a cheapo Menard's Guidesman single LED with (4) AAA bacheries that has an adjustable beam focus (slide the shaft head in or out to get from 6' diameter beam down to 1' diameter beam from 5' shoulder height).
Silver-ish aluminum tube, a little under 6"x1", with a 2-mode (steady or rapid strobe), rubber-coated button switch located on the butt end inside a raised circumferance edge.
It cost like $4.99 on special, several years ago.
Use it EVERY SINGLE DAY, typically for a few minutes at a time, and a fully bright bulb recharge lasts maybe 1 hour total, with another hour of reduced power left in the rechargeable bacheries after that.
Wish it had a strap but - oh well....
Not military-grade bright but a lot brighter than the cheapie ones that only use 2 or 3 bacheries.

Owning several LED handy flashlights, definitely go for one that uses (4) bacheries instead of just (3).
Brighter, and last longer.
Don't buy ones with the button switch on the side - guaranteed problems within 12 months.

For area lighting Anonymouse bought a 2-pack of these red plastic square flashlights at Menard's that have 3 modes (3 LED beam & 6 LED bright/dim modes area light on the other end).
They have a rubber head around the beam end to stand up on for area lighting.
Anonymouse was SHOCKED at how long the (3) AA alkaline bacheries last in low light area mode - all night easily.
In fact, still haven't exhausted the original (3) alkaline AA it came with.
Excellent emergency travel light for the vehicle & dirt cheap at $6 for the pair.

Head Lamp was courtesy of the local cable guy, who forgot his after a service call.
Charter/Spectrum can afford to replace it.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 03-20-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:49 AM
Keeper

I like the NEBO's. I have maybe 4 of the small 250 lmn versions, and a few of the larger 1000 Lmn units. I have a lot of the high output ones from E-bay from china that use the 18650 batteries, but the switches are the weak link. You end up shaking them to get them to work. I do like the head lamps from china that use either 18650 batteries or AA's. I just got two NEBO headlamps that are smaller and work better for night fishing. I get my NEBO,s from Amazon or E-bay based on price.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 AM
Minnow

I really like to share that one of the best source, Top Flash Lights.