Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Driest Riding Boat: Multispecies Options - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 AM
Minnow

Default Driest Riding Boat: Multispecies Options

I'm looking into a glass multispecies boat for smallmouth fishing on Lake St Clair and the Great Lakes, with the flexibility to also chase toothy critters, walleye and Steelhead. In my search the models that have caught my attention include the Ranger 620 Fisherman, the Triton 206 Fishunter and the Skeeter WX2060. I'm open to the horseshoe or open cockpit area.

Here is my issue, due to work demands I don't have much time for fishing so my days are limited. Invariably the weather is rough when I can go. I'm seemingly always fishing in white caps and getting wet while running. Of these three, can anyone comment on the rough water ride when the winds are starting to howl? I don't mind fishing in rough weather but I hate getting wet. Also, I want a front deck were I can lay rods flat when fishing for bass.

Any insight or experience is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Wallhanger

Can't help you on the experience of the three rides, but I would doubt (other than maybe the Triton?) that the other two have big enough deck space to lay rods flat. Good question though. Seems most multispecies boats, even with enormous deck space, wouldn't fit anything over a 6' rod.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

All of the mentioned boats are good runners in the rough stuff while running.

The bow of the Ranger and the rear layout with ability to add a rear casting deck on the Ranger or Triton is superior IMO, if you where a musky guy that could add a justincase I would say it's a toss up for rear casting but for storage and fishing the Ranger and Triton will be better IMO.

Another thing I noticed recently while looking at a Skeeter is the bow shape, it's pretty pointed vs the ranger which is wide which offers more room up front, if you got in the boats or looked at overhead photos you would see what I mean.

I musky fish off the bow of my Ranger mostly from the side not facing forward much and the bow is very wide and not very pointed, it offers more side to side space to allow for maximum room up front.

When looking at these boat measure at the pedestal across (I haven't) but would bet the Ranger has more room side to side as will the Triton over the skeeter. I think this offers more of a flat surface to work from any side of the bow which I believe will add more stability as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Keeper

Ranger FS series have rod boots on each side of the front deck so you can lay rods down and store the tip pointed backwards toward the stern. There are pictures on the Ranger website in the gallery section. I don’t know how long of a rod will fit.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
Ranger FS series have rod boots on each side of the front deck so you can lay rods down and store the tip pointed backwards toward the stern. There are pictures on the Ranger website in the gallery section. I don’t know how long of a rod will fit.
My Allure has these as well. Would guess the fishhunter has them as they are basically the same boat with/without the horseshoe storage. I have stuck my 7+' musky rod in mine.

So far my boat has been very dry. Haven't had it in anything crazy, but the 4th of July in my hometown has a ton of boat traffic and was windy this year, so it was pretty rough and we stayed completely dry running at 40-50 mph or so. The ride was smooth as can be.
Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
Lowrance Point 1
Standard Horizon GX2350S
Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna
Old 10-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Minnow

Chris, your situation sounds like mine. Work takes priority over play, I assume self employed. I can't drop what I am doing and fish just because the weather is cooperating or the fish are biting. Recreation has to fit to my schedule, not I fit to its. But this standard operating procedure allows one to be more self sufficient financially.

Anyone who has any experience on the great lakes knows how small the weather window of opportunity is.

Try to ride or at least sit in a Warrior V208 before making a decision.

Pay attention to windshield height when you sit in it, or all boats.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Minnow

I've ridden in and fished out of all three of these boats. Of the 3, the Ranger has the best ride. The Triton is very fast, but gets marginal when in the heavy chop. The Skeeter I rode in was rough all the time, but it did get better after he added trim tabs.

As someone else mentioned, Warrior is a very dry riding boat, and handle the chop very well.

Another brand to consider is the Nitro. I currently run a ZV19, which while not the driest, it handle the heavy chop extremely well. That being said, I am ordering a ZV20 this month. I was able to test drive a ZV20 this summer at the Merc Nationals. The ZV20 was an incredible ride, very dry and took the 2-3 footers on Lake Winnebago at 55 without a bump. I could only run my ZV19 at 30 in the same conditions that day. Nitro might be a brand to consider.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Wallhanger

2-3 footers on Lake Winnebago at 55 without a bump.....sure you did.

2-3 ft waves are pretty large (if they were 2-3) and unless you are in the trough of wide waves you would be hard pressed to see over 40, with them or against them not a chance at 55
Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumpner View Post
I've ridden in and fished out of all three of these boats. Of the 3, the Ranger has the best ride. The Triton is very fast, but gets marginal when in the heavy chop. The Skeeter I rode in was rough all the time, but it did get better after he added trim tabs.

As someone else mentioned, Warrior is a very dry riding boat, and handle the chop very well.

Another brand to consider is the Nitro. I currently run a ZV19, which while not the driest, it handle the heavy chop extremely well. That being said, I am ordering a ZV20 this month. I was able to test drive a ZV20 this summer at the Merc Nationals. The ZV20 was an incredible ride, very dry and took the 2-3 footers on Lake Winnebago at 55 without a bump. I could only run my ZV19 at 30 in the same conditions that day. Nitro might be a brand to consider.
yeah, I'm not buying that either. I've seen a zv20 on Winnebago in 2-3' waves. He wasn't going much faster than I was in my Comp 205. A ZV20 doesn't have the deadrise or high enough sides to split a true 3' wave like it wasn't there. Not possible unless the boat had wings and could fly. Just the way it is.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjy View Post
yeah, I'm not buying that either. I've seen a zv20 on Winnebago in 2-3' waves. He wasn't going much faster than I was in my Comp 205. A ZV20 doesn't have the deadrise or high enough sides to split a true 3' wave like it wasn't there. Not possible unless the boat had wings and could fly. Just the way it is.
How does the Comp 205 ride in the big stuff, I've looked at them from a musky standpoint that bow is ridiculous and great rod storage and ability to cast of the back deck is sweet. How do they ride?