Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sighting in a 30-06 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

Default Sighting in a 30-06

I recently bought a Savage 110 with a BSA scope for a wolf hunt i have booked. I bought it used and for a great price. I know where the scope falls quality wise and am not interested in upgrading. (Unless I struggle during the sighting in process)

My questions are:
1. Does it make more sense to bore sight it first before firing rounds through it?
2. Is bore sighting it first a time saver?
3. What yardage do I use for bore sighting?

A little info on the hunt is, it is a baited hunt and I will not take a shot over 200 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Keeper

Start at 25 yrd to get it on paper then work your way out from there. Chances are it should be somewhat on if it has been shot before.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Minn guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live to jig View Post
Start at 25 yrd to get it on paper then work your way out from there. Chances are it should be somewhat on if it has been shot before.
Yep that's what I'd do, I then I'd zero it in at 200 yards it will be about 7-9 inches low at 300 and 1-2 inches high at 100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2016, 12:44 AM
Wallhanger

I would shoot it at 100 yards first and save yourself some money. Odds are with a used gun you will be on paper at that range. Adjust from there. Sight it in an inch or inch and half and work your way back. Never trust anyone's word on where your bullet will hit at any range. Shoot it and learn it, everyones gun and shooting ability is different. Don't let it cost you a wolf. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2016, 04:16 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Bowtech84;5056850]I would shoot it at 100 yards first and save yourself some money. Odds are with a used gun you will be on paper at that range. Adjust from there. Sight it in an inch or inch and half and work your way back. Never trust anyone's word on where your bullet will hit at any range. Shoot it and learn it, everyones gun and shooting ability is different. Don't let it cost you a wolf. Good luck

Makes sense, that's exactly what I would do also with a used scoped gun.
If not on paper at 100 yds., then either go to 25yds. or bore sight it. A lot of times bore sighting will only get you on paper at 100, and you still need to zero it.
For years I sighted in my deer guns @ 3/4-1" hi at 100, some like dead on at 100, that's just preference.
I don't own any but the Savage line of guns have a pretty good reputation for accuracy, if it doesn't group well make sure the scope mounts aren't loose and that the scope will still hold zero.
Good luck on the wolf hunt!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks all for the help. I will shoot after bore sighting. After zeroed at 100 it is adjustable up to 400 with the turretts. However I won't shoot at game that far. I am a bow hunter first and have always said if you can't get closer than a couple hundred yards from your game you are doing something wrong. Lol. I am considering sighting in the scope part the adventure and fun of the hunt itself. And I have no plan on bring up a means to harvest an animal I don't have 100% confidence in.
Thanks Again!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

I've had stores bore sight a couple new guns for me. Wasn't even worth the wait. I ended up just doing as others. 25-30 yards on paper, then working my way back. I got a long range scope last year that has a parallax adjustment for different ranges. That was quite the learning curve after shooting nothing but fixed types before. I burned through a couple hundred rounds and was all over the place at longer ranges until people here gave me some pointers on how to keep shots consistent. If it does have that adjustment and you've never used one before, I'd highly recommend putting in some time in multiple sessions to get the hang of it. I kept zeroing mine in at 200 yards, then the next time out, I was off by 6-12". Wasn't the scope, it was me and not adjusting the parallax correctly. Don't ever take the yardage marks on the scope as gospel. None of mine match up in reality. Usually 25-50 yards off the sweet spot on the adjustment.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:54 AM
Wallhanger

Interesting insight to a scope in the above post.
I have some "OLD" Tasco TR scopes with the BDC compensators, one of which is on a 788 22-250.
That scope is dead on if the turret is dialed on the correct yardage, 100yds and there's a hole in the groundhogs head, 300, 400yds and there's a hole in the groundhogs head. Apparently the velocity and bullet drop of the hand loads I use match up with the designated yardage on the turret perfectly, of course, that's with no wind and you need to know the almost exact yardage to the target.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
Interesting insight to a scope in the above post.
I have some "OLD" Tasco TR scopes with the BDC compensators, one of which is on a 788 22-250.
That scope is dead on if the turret is dialed on the correct yardage, 100yds and there's a hole in the groundhogs head, 300, 400yds and there's a hole in the groundhogs head. Apparently the velocity and bullet drop of the hand loads I use match up with the designated yardage on the turret perfectly, of course, that's with no wind and you need to know the almost exact yardage to the target.
I'm not expert in them by any means, but aren't there two different types of parallax compensation scopes. General and round-specific? I remember when I was shopping, there were ones like mine for any rifle with the adjustment, and then those that were specific to the round being shot. I could see how round, load, barrel length, and other factors could effect the accuracy of the turret yardage markings.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, the more I think about it, aren't we talking two different things? Parallax compensation and drop compensation adjustments?