Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
An ode to "The Hump" - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-12-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Humps can be good at times. Wind can make a difference on fish location( true about everywhere). As indicated, observation of conditions can always be key in replicating a onetime success.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
Humps can be good at times. Wind can make a difference on fish location( true about everywhere). As indicated, observation of conditions can always be key in replicating a onetime success.

Bill
Your absolutly right Bill.Wind direction and sun angle have to be kept in mind with time of day you fish and water temps.Over my years of fishing diff lakes and literally having hundreds of humps and having them dissected i can fish them with ease. My gps is loaded with so much info making it so much easier and the spot lock basically gives the fish no chance in any type of weather.It did take a lot of searching and tgat part was the most fun.Wont take much longer now to get out.Boat is pretty much ready to go.Will be lake trout and smallies on those humps i fish in Cliff Lake first.Tgey are sitting ducks.lol.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Keeper

Thanks all - glad people enjoyed it
I agree about keeping notes and understanding wind
On our last two trips we have certainly found that fishing points, islands, humps etc. that are being hit or influenced by wind (or current) can really turn on the fish
Also found that if there has been consistent and sustained waves and current into structure that can really turn it into a "walleye magnet"
Cheers
Andrew
Old 04-12-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Before the advent of GPS finding "the hump" took some triangulation skills. Not sure how anglers found them before the advent of sonar.

Good article!
Old 04-12-2021, 12:49 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bay gord View Post
Before the advent of GPS finding "the hump" took some triangulation skills. Not sure how anglers found them before the advent of sonar.

Good article!
I think lots went untouched for many years.The ones I remember finding were the humps i hit downrigginģ for trout.Going back and checking it what you got hung up on.then like you said Gord.Doing some triangling to figure out how to come back to it later with some landmarks.But those places produced as they still do today but somewhat busier now.Taking guests to a prime hump like that was a amazing treat back then.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
I think lots went untouched for many years.The ones I remember finding were the humps i hit downrigginģ for trout.Going back and checking it what you got hung up on.then like you said Gord.Doing some triangling to figure out how to come back to it later with some landmarks.But those places produced as they still do today but somewhat busier now.Taking guests to a prime hump like that was a amazing treat back then.
Itís know fun racing in the morning to a spot trying to be the first ones there,then worry about others showing up to move on in,thatís where the float planes are worth there weight in gold,gotta pay for privacy but itís worth every penny,my motto is, I see thousands of people daily,when I go to Ontario Iíll.be dammed if Iím going to fish in a crowd,late late fall in Ontario is about the only time you can go to a drive in lake and pretty much have it all to yourself
Old 04-12-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Itís know fun racing in the morning to a spot trying to be the first ones there,then worry about others showing up to move on in,thatís where the float planes are worth there weight in gold,gotta pay for privacy but itís worth every penny,my motto is, I see thousands of people daily,when I go to Ontario Iíll.be dammed if Iím going to fish in a crowd,late late fall in Ontario is about the only time you can go to a drive in lake and pretty much have it all to yourself
True, but some fun can be derived by being part of the 10% of anglers who actually can catch fish on that hump. As Andrew illustrated it's one thing to find the hump, it's another to understand when, where and how to fish it depending on a variety of conditions.

I will say that you can have any lake to yourself if you just avoid other anglers....but I do get the draw for remoteness.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:37 PM
Wallhanger

I have a favorite hump on my favorite lake. Very little boat traffice travels over it.

When another boat seems to be heading my way, I toss out a marker with a short line. I continue to fish near the marker as it floats away from the hump. My company usually leaves after about 20 minutes or so.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckohlt View Post
Quote:
I think lots went untouched for many years.The ones I remember finding were the humps i hit downrigginģ for trout.Going back and checking it what you got hung up on.then like you said Gord.Doing some triangling to figure out how to come back to it later with some landmarks.But those places produced as they still do today but

somewhat busier now.Taking guests to a prime hump like that was a amazing treat back then.
It’s know fun racing in the morning to a spot trying to be the first ones there,then worry about others showing up to move on in,that’s where the float planes are worth there weight in gold,gotta pay for
privacy but it’s worth every penny,my motto is, I see thousands of people daily,when I go to Ontario I’ll.be dammed if I’m going to fish in a crowd,late late fall in Ontario is about the only time you can go to a drive in lake and pretty much have it all to yourself
Rod.Big lakes have a lot of room like Eagle and Lac suel. Smaller lakes tend to be busier but mostly where camps show you spots on the lake.All camps have the same map and spots so they get congested .Plenty of other places to fish that don't get pounded for 5 months
Old 04-12-2021, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Rod.Big lakes have a lot of room like Eagle and Lac suel. Smaller lakes tend to be busier but mostly where camps show you spots on the lake.All camps have the same map and spots so they get congested .Plenty of other places to fish that don't get pounded for 5 months
I quit fishing lac suel years ago when verbal fights started breaking out over dock space,it was a mess and Iím sure the lake has a lot more boat traffic these days,but I do understand itís a huge and you probably can find secluded spots,probably not spring time but later in the year,I have friends that do house boat on opening and every year thereís arguments on the water,just not for me,last 2 trips I was on in late fall was at holinshead lake and barrington lake resort I was the only fisherman,I did fish gull rock a few years back mid sept that was like a ant hill but only the ants were boats lol,so Iím done there lol.I do try and stay away from huge bodies of water in the fall cause that can be some nasty nasty weather and itís no fun sitting in the cabin looking at the lake get tore up