Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fedex vs UPS vs USPS - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2021, 08:57 AM
Keeper

Default Fedex vs UPS vs USPS

I had experiences with all three yesterday which seem to be recurring behavior.

Fedex : Rings doorbell, "here's your package, have a nice day!"

UPS : Yeah, maybe I have your package, maybe not. What about it?

USPS : What package?

UPS : I cringe whenever I see something coming via either UPS or USPS. My UPS guy is horribly lazy. Yesterday, we received an RSA token and employment badge for my wife who works for a defense contractor. UPS crammed that envelope in between top posts of a courtyard gate. Easily seen from the street. One good gust of wind and it would have been down the road. This is the same guy who left a $40,000.00 piece of lab gear sitting in front of my garage instead of placing it inside the same courtyard wall which was 8' away. When I asked him nicely to leave packages behind the wall, he became instantly combative and claimed he would not enter my outdoor courtyard due to covid. Weird.

USPS : I've been waiting for some custom parts that I ordered so that I could finish two fly rods that I am working on. The vendor sent me the tracking number and it indicated that they tried to deliver 2x, but no secure spot was available to leave it, and that they left a notice for me for two days in a row. This was a tiny box, I have a locking mailbox cluster, and no notice was left. I tracked down my carrier, and she said "oh... sorry. This fell behind my seat." No indication why the tracking said two attempts were made and notices left. She is a chronic problem for our neighborhood.

Fedex : I ordered some cheap crap off amazon, and my fedex guy walks it up to the front door, hides it behind a potted plant, and rings the doorbell.

Guess which one is getting a Christmas card and a gift this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2021, 01:32 PM
Minnow

I have the other way around with UPS and FedEx. Fedex guy knows where things are supposed to be left. Been delivering to my house for 8 yrs now. Sometimes he leaves it where it's supposed to go. One package that was delivered must have been thrown on a chair on the porch and fell behind. We found it 2 months later. And then sometimes he just drops the package out in the elements by the garage door.

UPS guy stops in drops the package where it's supposed to go, plays with the dog for a minute or two. Gives him a treat and leaves.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:35 PM
Minnow

Oh and more often than not we end up getting packages for everyone but us. One guy about 2 miles away and I call each other when we are expecting a package that says it has been delivered but hasn't. Our addresses and our names are not even close for that kind of mix up.

FedEx gets paid by the number of packages delivered I hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I can't call any one of them the "best" but in my experience:

3rd from the last UPS

2nd from the last USPS

A very distant last Fedex
Old 08-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

UPS and fedex have sites where you can leave instructions where to put items. All 3 depend on their workers so if one is constantly screwing up you need to complain. I hate to complain, but if you get important/valuable items shipped to home you have to do it. JMO Bob
Old 08-05-2021, 02:48 PM
Minnow

Complain all the time. Guy for FedEx is still driving. Been more than 5 or 6 years. Deliver the package so we get paid. Don't care about one thing else
Old 08-05-2021, 03:09 PM
Wallhanger

I'm able to track deliveries from all 3, beginning when the item is shipped, where it is, when delivery is expected, when and where it was delivered.

I appreciate the service that I get from all 3. I'm sure that my living in a small town helps.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
I'm able to track deliveries from all 3, beginning when the item is shipped, where it is, when delivery is expected, when and where it was delivered.

I appreciate the service that I get from all 3. I'm sure that my living in a small town helps.
I live in a small town also, It depends on the driver/postman. Most do pretty good. USPS is a crap shoot. Bob
Old 08-05-2021, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
I can't call any one of them the "best" but in my experience:

3rd from the last UPS

2nd from the last USPS

A very distant last Fedex
That's exactly where I'm at presently. The order was different at different times in the past. The FedEx guy we usually get now acts for all the world as if he's angry at us for something, even though we've only seen him through a window or from a distance across the yard, never met him; he NEVER brings anything all the way to our step, he slams large, heavy packages - including those appropriately marked "FRAGILE" - on the far end of our wooden walkway such that we can hear the loud "BANG!" inside at the most distant point of the closed house, on 2 occasions he instead just left our packages out on the side of the road rather than come down our driveway, on 1 occasion he actually left the package IN the road - where it was promptly hit and demolished by another vehicle before I could retrieve it, he regularly drives off of our driveway (I suspect because he's on his phone and not paying attention) and leaves ruts in our lawn, on 1 occasion he scraped one of our trees with his truck...

It all depends on the delivery person, not the company the delivery person works for. Except in one critical area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
UPS and fedex have sites where you can leave instructions where to put items. All 3 depend on their workers so if one is constantly screwing up you need to complain. I hate to complain, but if you get important/valuable items shipped to home you have to do it. JMO Bob
That points to the exception: There is NO effective way to complain to FedEx about problems with your delivery person. My nephew used to manage a FedEx facility and even HE frequently and bitterly objected to this. They won't provide anyone - not even those within the company but at another location - with the means to directly contact the location where a problematic delivery person works, and they don't do anything in response to complaints about such a person that are sent to the company via its online contact forms. Filling out and submitting those forms (which I have done numerous times about this current delivery person, to no avail) is just an empowerment exercise.

As far as my nephew could tell based on several years in the company, the only time FedEx actually does anything about a bad apple is when law-breaking is involved or whatever shenanigans end up going viral on social media.

Gerry
Old 08-05-2021, 04:26 PM
Wallhanger

I must be lucky but I do live in a medium sized town, they have all been good. Some shippers use a 2nd party shipper that usually comes USPS that is terrible. But thats not their fault.