Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
English River/Barrell Lake - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Minnow

Default English River/Barrell Lake

We are thinking about a trip along the English river fishing Barrel Lake and Sowden Lake. We were thinking of late July or early August. Anyone had any experience fishing this area at that time of year. What worked best for walleyes.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Slot Fish

Have nit been there in years, but we did well at that time of the year. We used jig and minnow, biggest was 25". Lots of smaller ones. If the lake does not produce, check the river more.
Good luck.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Slot Fish

Default Barrel Lake and Sowden

I'm not sure if you realize it but you cannot boat between Sowden and Barrel. There is a falls at the outflow of Sowden. It would take you more than an hour to drive between the two access points. I have never fished Sowden before but haven't heard great things. That being said, a fair lake in the Ignace area on the English River is still going to be very good in a relative sense. It is a fairly long trip up a rough gravel road to get to Sowden. I don't remember if there is a public launch there (there is a launch at the only resort on the lake). I have fished Barrel a number of times. Generally small fish but still worthwhile. Barrel has big bass. A better combination would be to fish Barrel and Press. Press has a public launch on the river between Barrel and Press. Once again you cannot boat between these lakes either (the launch is downstream of the rapids between Barrel and Press). You can access the public launch into Press from the Valora Road. Press has bigger walleye, on average, than Barrel.

In terms of techniques, I would start by trolling spinners on bottom walkers with minnows or leeches on a windward shore until I found fish. Then I would slow down with jigs. The lakes in that area also have a good bite in the pondweed in the summer. Find a patch of pondweed and pitch jigs into the pockets. Trolling the edges of the pondweed beds with cranks can also be dynamite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Slot Fish

Oops, I never caught that about him going to Sowden.
We fished Barrel and the river only.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Minnow

I was looking at an outfitter that has boats on both Sowden and downstream with access to Barrel. Thanks for all replies.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Minnow

You just need to know where to fish at in Barrel. If its windy the lake gets really rough. You'll be fairly close to Wintering as well. That lake usually does really good on Walleyes for us, just watch out for rocks. Heck, there's a bunch of good lakes to go fishing at up there.

Where are you staying at?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Minnow

We are looking at a stay at Cozy Camp just north of Ignace.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 AM
Minnow

Great People! Price is fair! Plenty of fishing action for Walleye, Pike and Smallmouth. I have been fishing there for several years. Easy to get to. I like having the best of both world. Lake fishing and river fishing, as both are quite different. Fish are not difficult to pattern on this system.