Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
looking for fly-in recommendations Ontario - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 04-12-2021, 06:42 PM
Wallhanger

Default looking for fly-in recommendations Ontario

Hello,

It's been several years since I've done a fly-in. The last place was top notch, except for one thing - We flew over logging roads until we were within a half mile of the camp. It was still great trip, and the roads aren't used in the summer, but it didn't quite feel like going into the wilderness. I'm looking for recommendations. What I'm looking for:

1. A place that will take 2-4 people.

2. A place with a likelihood of some 25"+ walleyes.

3. A place with decent numbers of walleyes. It would be nice to have steady action and a shot at 50 in a day per person. I'm not so interested in a place where 100 a day is possible, but they are all 2-3 lbs.

4. A shot at a few big northern, with a chance of a 40" would be nice.

5. No logging roads.

6. Clean cabins - allergies can't handle musty.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2021, 07:58 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopertrout View Post
Hello,

It's been several years since I've done a fly-in. The last place was top notch, except for one thing - We flew over logging roads until we were within a half mile of the camp. It was still great trip, and the roads aren't used in the summer, but it didn't quite feel like going into the wilderness. I'm looking for recommendations. What I'm looking for:

3. A place with decent numbers of walleyes. It would be nice to have steady action and a shot at 50 in a day per person. I'm not so interested in a place where 100 a day is possible, but they are all 2-3 lbs.

5. No logging roads.

Thank you.
Hi--your criteria can be met by hundreds of outfitters in NW Ontario, so you will have a lot of fun sorting through the myriad of info. available. When I say NW Ontario, we are talking crossing the border at International Falls, traveling to, for example, Nestor Falls or Sioux Falls, staying overnight, and flying out in the a.m.

Another route to NW Ontario fly-ins involves traveling up the North Shore of Minnesota, crossing the border and, for example, traveling to Armstrong, and flying out from there.

And that's just a few! As I said, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of excellent outfitters in Sunset Country.

My favorite outfitter:

Nestor Falls Fly-In Outposts: Top of the line fishing, excellent cabins. Have lost track of the honest 100 fish days I have had at Larus Lake or Onepine. They do have an outpost at Keeper Lake that only requires a group size of 4, but there are a few other outfitters on the lake--you will seldom see them. I have caught pike up to 42" fishing for walleye. Full disclosure, I seldom fish for the big pike. I catch enough 30-35" pike on jig and plastics to consider them pests.

Dave and Michelle are the best. Their customer service is top of the line. Their outpost cabins are very, very clean. Go to their site, you will see what I mean. http://www.nestorfalls.com

I have also flown with Mattice Lake Outfitters, Showalter's, and Brace Lake Outfitters.

IMO, the time of year you visit will affect your success more than the lake/outfitter you choose. And your budget, of course, will narrow things down, as well.

Good luck, and have fun with the process!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:39 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Hello,

5. No logging roads.

Thank you.
You didn't mention if you were looking for a lodge or outpost.

There are a lot of logging roads and trails to native communities throughout Ontario. It will be hard to avoid this. Some areas definitely have far more active logging though and the regulations are limited where they can log within 1 kilometer (I believe) of the lake. Certainly fewer roads as you go further west and north.

Many outfitters will not take only 2 people (unless you pay for 4), but some do. However, it is always worth contacting the outfitters because they may be able to fit you in between flights etc..

I think if you want to increase your chances at bigger fish (25"+ Walleye and 40"+ Pike) you should try to find larger bodies of water with varied structure and plan your trip in the spring or fall.

For numbers, I would recommend a lake with some good inflowing rapids/falls. Although, that may violate your 2-3lb rule.

Off the top of my head, Slate Falls Outposts and North Caribou Camps are worth checking out. The outfitters mentioned by Michigan Walleye Guy are also top notch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2021, 03:36 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Hello,

5. No logging roads.

Thank you.
Your price range will pretty much determine where you go?
Old 04-13-2021, 05:23 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adempsey2.0 View Post
There are a lot of logging roads and trails to native communities throughout Ontario. It will be hard to avoid this. Some areas definitely have far more active logging though and the regulations are limited where they can log within 1 kilometer (I believe) of the lake. Certainly fewer roads as you go further west and north.
Off the top of my head, Slate Falls Outposts and North Caribou Camps are worth checking out. The outfitters mentioned by Michigan Walleye Guy are also top notch.
To fish in an area that has no old, or new logging roads/cuts within miles of the lake will be a tough one, it will require (as a rule of thumb) going pretty far north, draw an imaginary line between Pickle Lake and Red Lake and beyond, think north of there. The rules for logging have gotten lax, they can now log within hundreds of feet of a lake with an outpost camp, compared to the time that it was generally accepted that logging would be out of line of site from the lake. The new catch name the logging companies and politicians use is the "Commercial Forest", the forester for the local mill told me a few years ago that they plan on eventually logging it all, very sad for us all.

I have no specific outfitters to suggest contacting, but suspect (as suggested) North Caribou might possibly be an option, Slate Falls is a class act from what I have seen, but it is doubtful they have anything that fits your logging perimeter.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:19 AM
Minnow

http://www.bullmoosecamp.com/

been there 3 times great place
Old 04-13-2021, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

As skywagon mentioned its tough not to fly over a logging road.Being very good friends with Wayne and Karla Clark from Clarks outposts.My wife and i have been very fortunate to experience a few remote outposts.They have some that are far away from any logging roads but best way is to find one that suits your needs is to do a Google earth search.Find a outpost and just see if there are any logging roads near it or not.The fishing would be fantastic at any lake you decide to go to.Definatly you would not see anyone while your there except one if there planes checking on you every couple of days.Some roads you might see are not logging but winter roads the natives use in winter only These roads are impassable in summer.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:28 AM
Minnow

Default Fly In Recommendation

30 years of fly in fishing trips..but the last 23 years with one outfitter. I will be brief. Nestor Falls Fly In Outposts are AWESOME. Great fishing , up to date equipment...Fabulous outposts with solar power. Safety in flying....I could go on but you will not be able to beat Dave and Michelle Beaushene at Nestor Falls Fly In Outposts. Family operated and can't wait to get back as soon as the borders open. Two trips a year for a long time.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:39 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDog View Post
30 years of fly in fishing trips..but the last 23 years with one outfitter. I will be brief. Nestor Falls Fly In Outposts are AWESOME. Great fishing , up to date equipment...Fabulous outposts with solar power. Safety in flying....I could go on but you will not be able to beat Dave and Michelle Beaushene at Nestor Falls Fly In Outposts. Family operated and can't wait to get back as soon as the borders open. Two trips a year for a long time.
Hey BarnDog--which lakes do you fish? I, too, do two trips a year with NFO. In 2019, fished Onepine and Clear. But Larus is by far my favorite, heaven on earth, and the nicest outpost cabin I have ever been in.

Jim
Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

a group of 2-4 limits things a bit - especially on the bigger waters - outfitters usually require 6 people groups - but you could get into Kearns lake with thousand lakes outfitters (a lake that fits all your requirements) via their stonehouse lake cabin - a short portage to kearns. stonehouse is for 4 and the kearns cabin is for 6 - 10 people.

see:
https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...ghlight=kearns

phish