Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
SUV brake problem when launching boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Keeper

Default SUV brake problem when launching boat

If I back my trailer into the lake when launching/loading to float the boat off/on I occasionally have brake problems. The rear wheels on my 2009 AWD Toyota Highlander can at times get submerged almost halfway up the wheels. When that happens I "think" one of the brake disk pads may temporarily lock up or drag for a while making noise and even locking up a wheel when in reverse. I did have new brakes put in about a year ago and am wondering if this has happened to others or if there is a solution to this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2021, 04:32 AM
Wallhanger

I've been trailering for 50 yrs and never had a brake problem except when using the emergency brake and the cables froze up and had to be cut with bolt cutters at the wheel.

do you set the emergency brake? sounds like it may be sticking.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:28 AM
Wallhanger

Default emergency brake?

I'd echo Last Chance's remarks.

Don't know if you're using the emergency brake when launching or not, but My experience and the advice from several mechanics is the same on the subject. Either use the emergency brake every time you park the car or don't use it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2021, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

Default I suggest calling it a parking brake

Use the parking brake every time you park. Vehicles have a way of moving on their own when the they are not quite all the way in "park". Lots of insurance claims result, usually blamed on the manufacturer.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
If I back my trailer into the lake when launching/loading to float the boat off/on I occasionally have brake problems. The rear wheels on my 2009 AWD Toyota Highlander can at times get submerged almost halfway up the wheels. When that happens I "think" one of the brake disk pads may temporarily lock up or drag for a while making noise and even locking up a wheel when in reverse. I did have new brakes put in about a year ago and am wondering if this has happened to others or if there is a solution to this problem?
Does your trailer have brakes? Are you sure it's the car and not the trailer?
Old 07-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Wallhanger

I would guess that with the age of your vehicle its your parking brake cable. When my trucks would get that old the parking brake would stick.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:15 AM
Keeper

The trailer does not have brakes. I only use the SUV's parking brake occasionally so I will check that out as a possible cause.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

""" I did have new brakes put in about a year ago and am wondering if this has happened to others or if there is a solution to this problem?""

Fwiw did they replace/rebuild the calipers, not all brake jobs include this.

Don't think it's the problem, but ya never know.

Al
Old 07-15-2021, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Dave,
Actually it is a non issue.

When you submerge your wheels in water the brake rotors get wet.

When the wheels come out of the water and go sit in the parking lot while you are fishing the brake rotors rust and now and then they will rust the wheels nearly solid to the break rotors.

Easy solution. With the trailer disconnected to the vehicle, take the vehicle down the road up to about 40 mph and slam on the brakes hard enough to lock up the wheels. Then, put the vehicle in reverse and accelerate to as fast as you dare and slam on the brakes. Repeat the forward and reverse with a solid brake lockup at the end of each run up, until you can hear no brake sounds from your wheels in either reverse or in forward gear. A very common problem and a very easy solution.

However, if you are to the place where the wheels are essentially locking up so hard that it is next to impossible to break the brakes free, then it is a good idea to replace the brakes and rotors with rotors that have been coated with Guardian 40 and the use of Ceramic brake pads. By the use of these different type rotors and the use of the ceramic brake pads you normally eliminate to about 90% the issues with the rotors rusting up and creating noise.

-----------------------------
A couple of years ago, my son had stopped over with some new car cleaning products. One of them was a brand new - not on the market - wheel cleaner. The cleaner was applied per directions and the wheels were first coated with cleaner and then scrubbed free for a great shine and look. However, for one car, the car was just pulled forward into the garage and parked with no running after washing the wheels and getting the brakes heated up and dried out. When I went to use the vehicle the next time, I put the car in reverse and the vehicle would not move. I had to bring the rpm up to nearly 5000 rpm, before the brakes broke free of the rotors. I then went through the brake cleaning routine back and forth until the rust was gone and everything was freed up. But, this car had never had a rusting issue with the rotors before the cleaning process. Afterwards, virtually every rain or snow that came around the rotors would gather rust again and cause problems. So, even through the brakes and rotors were fairly new, I replaced the rotors with rotors and pads as listed above. Now, no further issues with any of the brakes at all on the vehicle. So in summary - the high test cleaner really cleaned too well and effectively destroyed one of the properties of the brake rotors and pads that had stopped the brakes from rusting up before the cleaning treatment. I do not use that cleaner on anything any more.

p.s.
you made no mention of the emergency brake in your post, so I am taking the stand that you are not having an emergency brake problem, but just a problem with the rotors and pads on the vehicle after being immersed in the water.

Best wishes.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Keeper

Thanks to all who have replied to this problem. I suspect REW is right on with his assessment of rusting rotors and pads sticking (a special thanks to REW). I do have a roller trailer and normally hardly ever get the back tires wet. I have only experienced this problem in the last year when backing in far enough to float the boat off the trailer and therefore getting the rotors wet. The new brakes (rotors & pads) were installed by a low bidder so I expect they were lesser quality than the original Toyota brakes. This is something for all of us to consider when getting new brakes on our towing vehicles.