Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Registered Users - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 06:54 PM
Wallhanger

Default Registered Users

When is WC going to eliminate “Guest” posting privileges? It’s an uneven playing field. Guests can say and do whatever they like, and the worst that ever happens is he/she gets a thread or post nuked. If a member gets flagged, they can be banned or suspended. Most, if not all, “Guest posts” lately have been to inflame or incite. Stirring the pot appears to be his/her only motivation. The biggest problem I have with “Guest,” is his/her comments are often (well, usually these days) made in manners that result in threads going poof! For example, I still don’t know what’s up with the bikers stopping traffic and if it’s legal or not, because it was nuked before I could log back on after work. But I do appreciate their fundraising!

Guest does not make WC a better forum. Respectfully, WHAT IS THE DEAL WC owners!!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2021, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

Unless a Guest is using a VPN that will mask their real IP
The Mods SHOULD have tools to suspend by IP address
Old 07-22-2021, 07:06 PM
Keeper

I also agree with guests not having posting privileges, but think anyone should be able to view the forum. What is the point in being a member if a guest basically get the same privileges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Go into the baseball thread. Members say stupid stuff just like guests do.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Go into the baseball thread. Members say stupid stuff just like guests do.
Right I understand what you’re attempting to convey. I’ve said stupid stuff before too. But it’s not “just like members do!!!!” That’s the point …. Everyone knows when I say something stupid. Or when you do (like you just did lol). But Nobody knows squat about a guest. Guests post under a diff handle over and over right? Guest comes on and says, “Yeah MN Man, you say the dumbest stuff of anyone.” Then logs in 5 minutes later under a diff guest name and says, “yeah I agree! MN Man is a total idiot.” Mods May know all. We don’t know squat! Ignoring Guest is no longer the play here

when guest can control the viability of a thread. I whole heartedly disagree with it.

Last edited by Derwood; 07-22-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

WC is one of the only bulletin board formats left on the internet. Facebook, Twitter, Snap, TicToc, etc have wiped out most others. The owners of these sites are going for clicks which bring in revenue. Registered only posting decreases clicks.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
WC is one of the only bulletin board formats left on the internet. Facebook, Twitter, Snap, TicToc, etc have wiped out most others. The owners of these sites are going for clicks which bring in revenue. Registered only posting decreases clicks.
Hmmm ….. if “clicks” are what they’re after, why limit the nature of the content, then? Serious question! If I’m after “clicks” then the LAST topic I’d ever disallow would be politics. And politics is the biggest bundle of dynamite known to WC.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:52 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
very true, clicks sell boats , fishing gear, lodging, basiclly the whole outdoor world
Old 07-22-2021, 10:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default Old News

Registered members have been calling for this as long as I can remember. Maybe you can move the owners. Personally it makes little difference to me. Some people alleged that members post as guests so they don’t get tied to their profile. As you know, it doesn’t affect me in the least.

Ask yourself, would you post any different as a guest? I think not. You are a pretty straight shooter. IMHO
Live and die on this day......
Old 07-23-2021, 04:53 AM
Wallhanger

I feel like guests post (lately) have been especially, knowingly, more controversial than usual, leading to the derailment of more threads.

Members know the rules. Most of us generally adhere to them, and are able to engage in meaningful discussions. Guests blast away and derail that conversation. I agree some members do this too. I know I have failed at times. But Sport doesn’t willfully nuked threads. Guest does regularly. Sport says I’m a straight shooter because he’s seen it a hundred times at least. While he doesn’t “know me” per say, he still kinda knows me.

I know ….. “Just ignore guest” and scroll past. I have. I do. But too many folks respond to them and if I ignore guest, now I’m out of the loop, or don’t see what derailed someone else, or whatever. Other than a small handful who post as guests because they didn’t survive the new login and password change, does anyone truly see the value of guest’s contributions in threads??

BTW - I have a picture of all members in my head! Can’t do that with guests either.

Rant over…. Bad thread on my part!! I’m doing a poor job of communicating. I cut 16 lawns yesterday plus my own, plus had a deck chain repair in the field. Blazing Sun here all day and a couple of migraines must have warped my brain!!
Closed Thread