Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
I-Pilot Spot Lock ? - Page 8 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Slot Fish

I have had good luck with my Spot Lock. I use it the most when I'm jigging lake trout in deep water, obviously so I don't have to mess with an anchor. The (strong) wind will move me at least 10 feet at times, but, I usually come right back to where I started. I'm definitely happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Wallhanger

Put me in the camp of never having problems with spot-lock. Seems to be the same on various lakes in varying winds. Mine didn't ever wander much----I like it---it would be hard to improve on it much in my experience.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Slot Fish

I dont have any complaints about my spot lock. That said.

Not all wind is the same. if you get wind that is swirling or gusting from a rew different directions it makes a big difference in control.

Also if you have current and wind together it is more challenging for the spot lock.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 AM
Wallhanger

As previously referenced, there is a software update for the unit, and I am hopeful that performance will be improved as a result.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Wallhanger

Location: tHE eDgE 0f tW!L!gHT , aNd tHe c0rr!D0r oF dArKne$$ tRans!T!0n. (49349)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Chopper, That thread is 6 months old. There has been at least one update since then. I am happy with mine. Some expect miracles. I doubt the Ulterra will be different as far as spotlock. Bob
Doubt that Bob, the Ulterra has been recalled from what I read on a couple different sites - after they put that to bed, then maybe another release.
My Gen1 i-Pilot is 5 years old and has served me well, I just hope the Link is fairly good with the latest...

HB
Helix 12 MSI G2N v1.84,AS-RC1x2, Helix 10 MDI G2N v1.84,Helix 12 SI v1.83,AS GPS HS x2, i-Pliot LINK, Helix 10 MSI G2N v1.84,~'91Lowe 1730V
Old 01-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Minnow

I'm not usually inclined to get in these debates of this brand vs that. But I will say my 2013 Terrova 101 I-Pilot has been disappointing. The spot lock has been terrible at best. I really believe there is a batch of bad gps receivers. I had four I-pilots before this one and they worked pretty much as advertised. If you had a steady 10-15 mph breeze they were dead on. Same goes for in the current of the river. But my current motor you are better off running it manually to keep on the spot. The other thing I have been having trouble with is the remotes. When using the Terrova to steer while trolling, at times I have to walk to the front of the boat to get it to work. My boat is 20 Ft. long. I have bought three different remotes and changed batteries. Does not help. I have contacted Minnkota several times and they haven't helped. I am extremely brand loyal, but enough is enough. I will own my first Motorguide this spring. I am nervous about learning a new foot pedal though. The Terrova foot pedal was great. Sorry for the novel.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Keeper

I've been following this for several pages....my input: I've been using I pilot 1st gen with original remote for 5 years. Bullet proof so far. Spot lock does wander probably as much as 20 feet at times......most likely less than or equal to any anchor line swing unless multiple anchoring is used. The convenience factor of no anchor pulling or line tangling makes the choice for me.

As we get more complex with I Link interfacing and software development, there will probably be issues to deal with. And of course the debate between competitor's features and service is always interesting.

Hope everyone finds what works for them....

Hurry up Spring.........
Old 01-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
I've been following this for several pages....my input: I've been using I pilot 1st gen with original remote for 5 years. Bullet proof so far. Spot lock does wander probably as much as 20 feet at times......most likely less than or equal to any anchor line swing unless multiple anchoring is used. The convenience factor of no anchor pulling or line tangling makes the choice for me.

As we get more complex with I Link interfacing and software development, there will probably be issues to deal with. And of course the debate between competitor's features and service is always interesting.

Hope everyone finds what works for them....

Hurry up Spring.........
X-2
Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 AM
Keeper

Thumbs up

Shellback....I have a couple of spot on spot jigging places I am going to try your stern anchor trick on....one more option in the bag....thanks...