Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dowco boat cover for Alumacraft Competitor - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Minnow

I purchased new Alumacraft Comp 185 last spring with Dowco cover. Dealer assured me they didn't have any issues with the covers rubbing boat. First trip had rub marks on boat when I got back. My dealer was great and gave me my money back, fixed the rub marks and I went and had a custom snap on cover made. Was more money but no worries now. I was in same position trying to rig it with extra brackets, tie downs to make it work. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2021, 12:33 PM
Minnow

Default cover

I wonder why they switched companies. I have a 17 Trophy 185 and it came with a
Dufort travel cover that has the plastic j-hooks that hook in the top side slot like my 07 Crestliner. There is a metal telescoping post for the bow and one in the back to shed water and keep tite. I've put several thousand miles with the cover on and no problems.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:32 PM
Slot Fish

Default Alumacraft Rub Rail Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy6092 View Post
It's too bad that it's set up like this. I like the Lund cover design where it uses clips that pop into the outside gunnel track. It's pretty slick and holds tight. But the 3M film might be an option. I'm going to look into it. Thanks for your input.
After having the same rubbing issue with my Competitor (documented here in a previous thread), I had a custom snap cover made for mine. The male end of the snap goes into a channel under the rub rail (similar to the Lund setup). One year of towing so far and I have not had any issues.

I tried old socks on the straps and padded cushions from back pack shoulder straps. Still had friction rub marks when strapped down tight. Thought about the 3M film, but that will just get rubbed through as well.
Minnkota Terrova w/IPilot Link
2021 Chev LT Trail Boss 6.2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2021, 07:30 PM
Minnow

Default Cover

Same exact thing i did,works perfect,dealer sais DO NOT buy the Dowco!!
Old 01-16-2021, 08:20 PM
Wallhanger

well, I have a competitor 185 ordered, will come with a dowco, hmm interesting, I only cover for one or two road trips a year, canada. I do not want uneccesary cover rash, will wait and see how it fits? maybe the 3M tape?