Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Right shoulder Rotator Cuff repairs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2021, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default Right shoulder Rotator Cuff repairs

After getting a good start on the PT for the repairs to the torn left arm lower bicep tendon-I went in to get the torn right shoulder rotator cuff tendon and the partially torn 2 upper bicep tendons repaired on 12/16/21. Surgeon had a tougher time than expected to reattach the cuff tendon as it had atrophied. Pain was the worst when the nerve block ended Friday morning and was the only time that I have had to take the Oxycodone-otherwise Extra strength Tylenol. Only problem I had was that I developed a rash throughout my whole body that had me in the emergency room Sunday morning and being put on Prednisone to combat it. It is getting better but still there. Staples were removed yesterday and surgeon addressed some blood pooling issues I had. Told me that 5 weeks of shoulder total inactivity before PT.
Walteye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2021, 12:59 PM
Wallhanger

Best wishes. I have had four shoulder surgeries including three cuff repairs. Be patient, it will get there.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 12-23-2021, 04:43 PM
Minnow

Take your time. Total recovery 8 -12 months. Do the PT exercises EVERY Day. Worst recovery of any surgery I have had waiting for my MRI on the right shoulder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default Cuff

I scheduled my L full thickness repair (as well as other issues) for 1/28/22. NOT looking forward to it. My biggest concern? Learning to wipe my arse right handed........... I've been practicing butt (pun intended) it's not as easy as it sounds.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Superior Capsule Reconstruction

Actually have both R and L torn rotaor cuffs torn. Docs says I am to old at 75 for regular repair.

From what I have read reverse shoulder surgery gains loss of pain but little else. Little if any improvement in range or strength.

The right one causes the most pain and screws up lots of stuff: shooting, casting, changing light bulbs, the list goes on and on.

The left one has no strength, although painful at times much less so than the right one.

Naturally I am always on the look out for new treatments that may help me.

Apparently Duke University has been doing Superior Capsule Reconstructions for about for years.

Does anyone have info on Superior Capsule Reconstruction or better yet experience with it?
Old 12-24-2021, 11:33 AM
Keeper

I can relate to you're problems. Getting old is a b!@&$. You need slow things down a bit.I had long discussion with my surgeon about my hands. They hurt constantly, even in my sleep. Trigger finger and Dupytrens contracture, if I spelled it right. I have the strength but not able to grip things. Especially lids. Good luck to you guys.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:33 PM
Wallhanger

Getting old really is crap, Both shoulders are torn and i saw the surgeon. He explained the recovery time and at 63 there was no way i was going through a year and a half. Basically no fishing,golf or hockey. I put up with the pain

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 12-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Getting old really is crap, Both shoulders are torn and i saw the surgeon. He explained the recovery time and at 63 there was no way i was going through a year and a half. Basically no fishing,golf or hockey. I put up with the pain
I've had both done, one at about 55 the other at 59. As I recall, rehab was about six months start to finish, the first 2-1/2 months were the hard part, the rest not so bad. Now that mine are fixed, I can't imagine them being the way they used to be.

Maybe just get your dominant side done ?
Old 12-27-2021, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=gmerz;6619626]I've had both done, one at about 55 the other at 59. As I recall, rehab was about six months start to finish, the first 2-1/2 months were the hard part, the rest not so bad. Now that mine are fixed, I can't imagine them being the way they used to be.

Maybe just get your dominant side done ?[

The other thing to consider is i was told you have a 100 % chance of arthritis with invasive surgery and i am going through that with my knees . I just put up with it

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 12-27-2021, 04:13 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Get a 2nd opinion. I am 61 had my cuff and bicep repaired March 5 told the Dr I wanted to be fishing May 15th. She said it will be tough but that it was up to me how I wanted to commit to the PT. Abousoluey no use of the arm for 6 weeks other than trips to PT at 6 weeks she turned me loose. I was fishing May 15th. Granted it was my non-casting shoulder but I could have.

Think about it you are 63 with probably 20 yrs to be active, don't wait.