Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Could you just use a bungy cord...trolling motor stabilizer... - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-08-2022, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

I Train,
If you are concerned about an electric motor deploying accidentally - unplug the electric motor, or install a switch before the power gets to the motor and turn off the switch when the motor is not being used.
On a 2 wire trolling motor - what ever the voltage, you only need to put an on/off switch in one leg of the wiring. For example a Perko battery switch are easily rated for over 100 amps and will safely turn the power on/off to the electric trolling motor.

https://www.perko.com/catalog/batter...onnect_switch/

Best wishes.

Last edited by REW; 01-08-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2022, 06:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
I Train,
If you are concerned about an electric motor deploying accidentally - unplug the electric motor, or install a switch before the power gets to the motor and turn off the switch when the motor is not being used.
On a 2 wire trolling motor - what ever the voltage, you only need to put an on/off switch in one leg of the wiring. For example a Perko battery switch are easily rated for over 100 amps and will safely turn the power on/off to the electric trolling motor.

https://www.perko.com/catalog/batter...onnect_switch/

Best wishes.
True, but i have heard cases of some mechanical locking mechanisms failing and then motor goes right in, pretty sure it was a couple Terrovas and an Xi5. In any case I'd cry if my 3k motor got destroyed when a 50 mount could have prevented it.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 01-08-2022, 08:33 PM
Keeper

Gentlemen, I don't know the design of all trolling motors but on my Terrova that is mechanically deployed when desired, accidental deployment is easily prevented by sliding the collar supplied by the manufacturer down the shaft of the trolling motor until it is adjacent to the base of the trolling motor, as far away from the head as possible and turn the thumb screw secure. I have never had or seen that collar secured with the thumb screw fail. It takes a second and provides confidence and security. I appreciate all thoughts...
Old 01-09-2022, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

I’ve got a bungee that hooks on the front seat, wraps around the shaft once and then to a cleat. It’s moderately tight with just a little down pressure. Seems to work fine over the last three years on the water and trailering to and from local lakes.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:54 PM
Minnow

I use the bungie cord to stop the motor from a accidental deploy at speed. I got this tip from a charter captain. Been doing this for over 10 years. I have had mine deploy on accident before and caught it before it fully dropped. In my case there is a slip ring your suppose to move down and lock. I never use that take to much time.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:11 PM
Wallhanger

Gentlemen, I don't know the design of all trolling motors but on my Terrova that is mechanically deployed when desired, accidental deployment is easily prevented by sliding the collar supplied by the manufacturer down the shaft of the trolling motor until it is adjacent to the base of the trolling motor, as far away from the head as possible and turn the thumb screw secure. I have never had or seen that collar secured with the thumb screw fail. It takes a second and provides confidence and security. I appreciate all thoughts...

As i recall this is what was on my Terrova

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 01-10-2022, 04:18 PM
Wallhanger

Yep you can do the collar thing but i bet at least 80% of people never do.There are a whole bunch of instances of that motor coming down while on plane, simple google search will find you that. Plus a collar will stop accidental deployment but it does nothing for the head slapping around. The Ram mount kills two birds, one stone and never have to mess with the collar ever.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 01-17-2022, 12:36 PM
Keeper

I do the collar, particularly if I'm on rough water.

The negative I've heard on the mounts is that you lose the shock absorber effect from the shaft. There are a lot of sensitive electronics. Would you rather they bounce up and down a bit with a more gentle movement at the top and bottom of their motion, or take the full hit of the wave? Wouldn't putting a mount on that keeps the head from moving be a lot like welding the suspension on your car solid?

From what I've seen on other forums, there were plenty of people with mounts that had to have their units replaced from damage too. Some dealers even came back and said they saw more damage on units with mounts.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:04 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk9455 View Post

The negative I've heard on the mounts is that you lose the shock absorber effect from the shaft. There are a lot of sensitive electronics. Would you rather they bounce up and down a bit with a more gentle movement at the top and bottom of their motion, or take the full hit of the wave? Wouldn't putting a mount on that keeps the head from moving be a lot like welding the suspension on your car solid?

From what I've seen on other forums, there were plenty of people with mounts that had to have their units replaced from damage too. Some dealers even came back and said they saw more damage on units with mounts.

I don't think it takes the full hit of the wave, I think it's dispersed through the hull. If it does then why don't our glass windows break?
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 01-17-2022, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk9455 View Post

Exactly. As I earlier said, the rubber strap I use prevents motor deployment and also acts as a cushioning mechanism. Plus takes maybe 10 seconds to secure/unsecure.

Bill