Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Live Bait Rules for Canada - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-18-2022, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA$1970 View Post
I have diminished the need for live bait as the fishing is so good up there I go with plastics.
Yes live bait probably does add more numbers, but again the fishing is so much better up there it’s not worth the hassle or expense to me.

Good timing. I'm shopping plastics now... what do you recommend? My luck in the past has been with paddle tail in chartreuse and white and also grey and white. My recollection for brand is poor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2022, 10:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I have diminished the need for live bait as the fishing is so good up there I go with plastics.
Yes live bait probably does add more numbers, but again the fishing is so much better up there it’s not worth the hassle or expense to me.
Yeah live really does put numbers in boat.Lots of fisherman that come up for a week that don't fish much definatly like to put the odds in there favor.Cant blame them.More experienced fisherman will dabble with the artificial stuff just have to get into a mind set that it normally slows down the action.But in some cases it can be just as good as with live bait.What ever catches fish and makes you happy.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Quote:
Yeah live really does put numbers in boat.Lots of fisherman that come up for a week that don't fish much definatly like to put the odds in there favor.Cant blame them.More experienced fisherman will dabble with the artificial stuff just have to get into a mind set that it normally slows down the action.But in some cases it can be just as good as with live bait.What ever catches fish and makes you happy.
Spot on and live bait will always win imo however it can also be preferences, cost, regulations & accessibility.
You have the ultimate playground up there to experiment & grow your profession that I truly envy.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Trout View Post
Quote:

Good timing. I'm shopping plastics now... what do you recommend? My luck in the past has been with paddle tail in chartreuse and white and also grey and white. My recollection for brand is poor.
Great question to all as this could be a daily thread. I like paddle tails better based on the rear thump.
Brands….Gulp, Northland, Powerbait……the list can go on and a lot of it is luck or just the right timing that might not translate to future success.
Question I have is salted, scented or I scented and I’m sure there are examples for all.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:42 PM
vbay-gord

Quote:
Spot on and live bait will always win imo however it can also be preferences, cost, regulations & accessibility.
You have the ultimate playground up there to experiment & grow your profession that I truly envy.
I don't agree...live bait does not always win.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbay-gord View Post
Quote:
I don't agree...live bait does not always
win.
Not always but mostly.Lol.if I use live bait and you use you phony stuff Ill kick your butt.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
Not always but mostly.Lol.if I use live bait and you use you phony stuff Ill kick your butt.
Given that lures mimic live bait, I tend to agree.
I think the only time live bait might not win, is in water with very limited sight distance. Buzz and Chatter baits, or any lure with a large vibration will likely do better.

However, if you tip that vibratory lure with live bait, well, then live bait wins again... LoL.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:27 PM
Keeper

We stay at my buddy's cabin near Taylor Island. It is impossible for us to buy and keep minnows for 9 or 10 days so we usually brought crawlers. We would tip jigs with a half or third of a crawler and go through 2 flats. Anytime we got on a hot bite we switched to plastic and really put the hurt on them. Last trip I decided to fish Gulp as long as I could keep up with the rest of the crew. I did and never used live bait. However, when the bite is tough nothing beats live bait except cranks or bottom bouncer and spinners.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:30 AM
Wallhanger

d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-V16 View Post
We stay at my buddy's cabin near Taylor Island. It is impossible for us to buy and keep minnows for 9 or 10 days so we usually brought crawlers. We would tip jigs with a half or third of a crawler and go through 2 flats. Anytime we got on a hot bite we switched to plastic and really put the hurt on them. Last trip I decided to fish Gulp as long as I could keep up with the rest of the crew. I did and never used live bait. However, when the bite is tough nothing beats live bait except cranks or bottom bouncer and spinners.
I hear you.Have had good action and bad action on both live and artificial.You guys are long way from bait shop.If your canadian you could trap some minnows during your stay.But if your catching on some artificial no big deal.I am assuming your on Lac Suel.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

In my humble opinion, one(not the only)key to successfully fishing artificials is having an abundance of fish where your hook is. Although this statement could be construed as "a duh moment", let me finish. As stated above, limited visibility can cause a fish to hit, it knowing(?) the bait will soon disappear, so gotta get it while it is apparent. Along with this, having a bunch of fish within the vicinity of the bait can cause what I relate to "a boarding house reach" effect, that is, gotta grab that drumstick before another the table reaches for it. So it is completion in the deep. Less fish around, a bit more time to decide whether is it food.

On a related subject, live vs plastic, et al, I used to get a hit and a miss using plastic, but kept the bait where maybe they would hit it again, only later to find, after no further hits, that the bait was partially pulled off. This happens when using a tube, or even minnow type representations. Even when using a jig head with a barb or a wire device(of various configurations). For this reason, I always super glue the bait on. It works very well, and allows me to have the bait remain in what, hopefully, is still the strike zone. I also almost always use scent, to cover what I feel is the "old geezer" smell from my hands. After catching a fish, i sometimes just rub the bait with the slime on my hand from unhooking the fish.

Bill