Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Solix 10 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 06-01-2020, 12:37 PM
Keeper

Default Solix 10

Just did an electronics upgrade. Put a Solix 10 and a Helix 9 at the helm. The Helix is primarily for mapping while the Solix is for sonar/imaging. The new Solix is awesome. My unit has side and down imaging. The one thing to consider is no matter where I put the transducer the Solix odes not read when the boat is on plane. They talk about a 2nd high-speed transducer but they are not clear enough that you need it unless your boat never gets over 10 mph. Love the new units but wish I would have known about 2 transducers right from the start. When you spend $4K on new electronics you want to get it right the 1st time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 06:37 PM
Keeper

I really like my Solix 12 for the most part. I have the 'high speed' transducer too. Mine might not be placed right, it really does not provide much detail when on plane.

My only complaint about the Solix is my trouchscreen has died. Unit is not even a year old yet. Touchscreen will go a week not working, then decide to work for a 1/2 day hah. Humminbird said they will repair it, but I'm going to wait until the end of the season. I can do 95% of the stuff easily without the touchscreen.

I really really like being able to scroll back in history, that and the MEGA side and down make the unit really nice.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeye View Post
Just did an electronics upgrade. Put a Solix 10 and a Helix 9 at the helm. The Helix is primarily for mapping while the Solix is for sonar/imaging. The new Solix is awesome. My unit has side and down imaging. The one thing to consider is no matter where I put the transducer the Solix odes not read when the boat is on plane. They talk about a 2nd high-speed transducer but they are not clear enough that you need it unless your boat never gets over 10 mph. Love the new units but wish I would have known about 2 transducers right from the start. When you spend $4K on new electronics you want to get it right the 1st time.
Would your boat be on plane at 10MPH ? A second traducer is easy enough to do, some people would not want to pay the extra money for that to me in the box. As for the Solix congrats, what do you gain over the Helix? I have a 10G2 and was thinking about a second unit to not have to flip through the screens. Also considering panoptix but both would be insane for costs right now and of course the battery issues. I already have 2 10" birds and a talon power steering an a kicker. I think that is enough on my batteries. I may connect one to the trolling motor batteries rather than add a 3rd battery to the boat.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes

Last edited by bbheli; 06-01-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2020, 08:26 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
As for the Solix congrats, what do you gain over the Helix?
I think the biggest win is the ability to scroll back in the history and add waypoints. The touch screen is neat too I guess. The ability to layout our own views is nice, but I think the Helix units pretty much already had all the view splits that I wanted.

You can also have more favorite views. The Helix gives you 3 buttons to 'bookmark' views. You can do..10 or 12 with the Solix, but it does require at least 2 'clicks' to get at one of your favorite views.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
I think the biggest win is the ability to scroll back in the history and add waypoints. The touch screen is neat too I guess. The ability to layout our own views is nice, but I think the Helix units pretty much already had all the view splits that I wanted.

You can also have more favorite views. The Helix gives you 3 buttons to 'bookmark' views. You can do..10 or 12 with the Solix, but it does require at least 2 'clicks' to get at one of your favorite views.
I like the hot keys and 3 is limited, wish they would do a firmware that allows them to be st least 6. how is the resolution vs the helix.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 06-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Keeper

I have not noticed any difference in resolution. Specs say they are both: 1280H x 800V.

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...irp-mega-si-g2
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ega-si-gps-g3n
Old 06-03-2020, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

The Solix is no different than any other SI machine. The SI transducer is not well suited for high speed depth. Mount the imaging transducer up safe and sound and add a 2d transducer with a Y cable. That or use the Helix for high speed depth. Big picture 2 Solix would be an expensive, but much neater proposition.

I was near the front end of this side imaging thing back in 2008. I had a 1197 SI and had all kinds of grief trying to get high speed dialed in. A friend told me to split the duties between a dedicated 2d and the SI transducer. I did that and never looked back. Best is no more rooster tail off the transducer. I chuckle whenever I see a bot go motoring by with a plume up alongside the powerhead.
Solix 12 G1
Old 06-03-2020, 09:28 AM
Keeper

Make sure you get the correct HW type shoot-thru transducer that supports CHIRP.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:05 AM
Keeper

Default Solix 10

I did add the 2nd high speed transducer. I did not go with a through the hull version. I can honestly say that this unit at speed now reads better than any locator I have ad over the 35 years. I am very happy. I did ethernet the Solix 10 and Helix 9 together. I can use the touch screen on the Solix to mark a way point and it is saved on both screens. I use the Helix primarily for mapping. Love the upgrade.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Slot Fish

[QUOTE=Muskeye;6450174]I did add the 2nd high speed transducer. I did not go with a through the hull version. I can honestly say that this unit at speed now reads better than any locator I have ad over the 35 years. I am very happy.

Did you use transducer XNT 14 HW T, and splitter cable 14-M-SIDB-Y for your upgrade?
Custom trailer
36v Ultrex
36v Vantage
15ft Talon
Wave wackers
5 batteries/5 Dual Pro chargers
2 Vexilar flashers
2 Humminbird Solix 12