Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Heading to MN Red Lake next week, any tips? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 08-02-2021, 05:23 AM
Wallhanger

Default Heading to MN Red Lake next week, any tips?

Hi all,

My family is heading to Red Lake next Wed-Sunday. Any recent success and tips? Historically we've done fairly well targeting walleyes with lindy rigs and a leech, but I'm always open to new ideas. Also, my kids love to catch crappies. Any thoughts on those?

Last edited by Timmer92; 08-02-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2021, 05:06 AM
Keeper

Stay to the right of the black vertical line.

https://www.redlakednr.org/water-resources/wraps/
Old 08-17-2021, 12:55 PM
Wallhanger

Hey all,

Just following up on my own post in case anyone does a search and is looking for some intel. My trip to Upper Red Lake was super tough. My overall summary is that the water is down about 4-5 feet, pushing the fish out to deeper water where there isn't much for structure and as such they are highly dispersed. The break from 7-11+ feet that goes all along the shoreline on the east side of the lake is now super shallow and didn't produce walleyes until late evening or after dark, and it was fairly slow at that. During the day people were just covering open water with no real rhyme or reason and picking them up randomly here and there. Each morning we covered distance to get to rock piles and pulled in one keeper in 3 mornings near the rocks. We then drifted and trolled our way back and caught the occasional random fish just like everyone else.