Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Goodyear Marathon Made in USA - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

(where would I find the date code ? )

Rebs

On the tire will you will find a series of numbers. Depending on how the tire was mounted, the date code may be on the inside face rather than the outside face.

The last four numbers would be the month and year production numbers.

Example 1309 would be the 13th week in 2009.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
(where would I find the date code ? )

Rebs

On the tire will you will find a series of numbers. Depending on how the tire was mounted, the date code may be on the inside face rather than the outside face.

The last four numbers would be the month and year production numbers.

Example 1309 would be the 13th week in 2009.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Mike
I believe I found the number which is 2309, it was right after the DOT and some letters.

Rebs
Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Rebs

Thanks for taking the time to check the tires.

I guess my local tire guy is out of the info loop on US made Marathon tire availability.

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Slot Fish

Wow i just checked mine and they say 4304 and also say made in canada.Now the boat only had 40 hrs on it wheni bought it this year and they look brand new-i might have to get new ones now.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Minnow

Corvette, I had a set that showed 4704 made in New Zeland. The tires looked fine and I check the inflation regularly. Last year while driving on I-75, I lost the entire tread off one of the tires. Took my fender with it and bent up the mounting brackets for the fender. I guess I was lucky since it only scuffed the side of my boat a little and missed the rear tail light. I also had an older spare that had never been on the road just blow apart while mounted on the side of the trailer. Anyway, I think my problems may have been UV damage since both the tires face the sun when parked in my driveway.

BTW, bought 2 new 215 75/14 inch replacements from Sam's last year. Sam's system showed these tires to be made in the USA but when they ordered them from the GY distribution center, they said only chinese-made tires were available. So, maybe this has changed and the tires are now made in the US - for better or worse - time will tell.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

The Carlisle tire that blew on my trailer in 2005 was made in the USA at a Goodyear Plant. I did some research, and the Marathons that replaced the Carlisles( At Goodyears expense) were made at the same plant. Go figure.

Shep

"Endeavor to persevere."
Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Keeper

Default Manufacture Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Rebs and cliftp.

Would you mind telling us the date codes on the tires you bought.

I was told by the local dealer that the only current Marathons available were made in China.

I don't know if it was just a line ( to lazy to get them) or true.

Just curious.

Thanks
Hello Mike F...........I just checked the side walls and mine were built in the 30th week of 2009. So Goodyear is still building them in the USA. Of a side note, had the Carlisles but with their age and Made in China on the sides, I just feel much safer with the Goodyears.

By the way, thank you Rebs for asking how to "read the tires". I was planning on going through some old posts because I've seen the explanation before but, well, I'm 56 years old, forgetful!

Paul C
Mattawan, MI
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

So Jimmie you get some bad tires and all of a sudden China builds better tires than we do? Pretty sad.