Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Heading to Whitewing Resort on 9/5. Any tips? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Minnow

Default Heading to Whitewing Resort on 9/5. Any tips?

This will be our second year out of Whitewings, and second trip to NW Lac Seul. We were up the same time last year. We were very happy with the fishing, but were fairly timid about exploring. We pounded a few spots in the north and central area of Steamboat Bay, but didn't attempt to navigate the channel to Mackenzie, as we heard the channel markers are unreliable. We didn't try to enter Farewell either.
I have a Navionic+ chip. It was generally helpful, but the depths listed were inaccurate around the structure we fished, so we didn't run full bore from one island to the next.
If anyone has suggestions about areas to explore, or areas to avoid, please chime in. We did most of our damage in 20-35 feet. We primarily jigged with minnows, but had good success with crawlers & plastics when we ran out of minnows. We are also prepared to pull spinners, and will probably try cranks, if we find structure that we can try without worry of plunking rocks. We'll also have some lipless cranks & other icefishing options, in case we find schools we can sit on top of. Last year we had a couple of days where we started using things just to see if they would work. (It was that good.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Minnow

tlk to Lawrence at White wing he will help you out
Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Minnow

Is Lawrence a guide, or handyman there? By the time we arrived last September, they were down to the owners & a woman working at the dock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Keeper

Lawrence lives in the Ear Falls area, guides on Lac Seul and pilots Whitewing's houseboats down and back from their tie up spot. He is a super nice guy that knows the lake very well. He is also a personal friend of Dave and Bobbie (the owners of Whitewing). You may want to consider hiring him for a day or two to help you become familiar with areas of the lake that you are skeptical about exploring. My wife and I just got back from fishing Lac Seul for our 28th week in the past 19 years (13th year and 22nd week out of Whitewing) and have become very comfortable going all the way down to the main basin in the southwest section. The first two or three years we hired a guide for a day or two so we could feel more comfortable exploring new areas. We feel it was well worth the added expense as we now have numerous fishing spots to choose from and no worries about taking out a lower unit.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the info. We had a guide lined up on day one last year, but the weather was iffy, so he ended up "on call". We ended up fishing that day, and the rest of the trip on our own. I'll certainly keep Lawrence in mind, and run this idea by the others.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:22 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up

I have been going to Lac Seul now for 12 years. Fished 2 years out of Ear Falls NW end and then past 9 years out of Scout Bay. I hired a guide for first 5 years and it was well worth the $$$ spent. We got many safe travel routes and also many good fishing hot spots! Plus great advice on fishing technique and patterns that work on Lac Seul , which is mostly jigs and spinners with minnows work best. Another person who guides on Lac Seul on NW end is PROV1800 who you can contact on Walleye Central.

We were on Lac Seul July 25 - Aug 1st and once again had an absolutely AWESOME week of fishing! Caught lots of walleye 20-29" average size being 22-25" FAT walleyes. Also, many 14-15" walleye and a few 16" and really had to work hard to limit out on 17"+ freezer fish! All the others were TOO BIG! LOL what a problem to have! Also caught a 37" fat Northern that put up a good fight, a few other 30" Northerns and some 27" to keep for freezer without targeting Northern. We fished McKenzie Bay, Bay of Islands, South of Windigo & Manitoba point, & North of Manitoba point south of Ghost Narrows and South Inlet on the really windy day and Scout Bay too. Fish were in 8-20 FOW. Fished islands and wind blow points & reefs. Our weather was very hot 90 degrees and FLAT CALM for first 3 days then cooled off to 60's & low 70s with 15-25 MPH winds and storms in the afternoons/evenings which made fishing challenging. But the fish were biting every day in all spots that we stopped no matter the weather!!! Saw 3 moose on Hwy105, 2 cows one calf, tons of Eagles, several red fox......It was a wonderful week of fishing fun in the sun with great friends and family! Can't wait to go back again next year and the count down is on!!!

Send me your email address and I will send you some tackle information that works well for us! Good luck on your trip and have a blast!

RBF