Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How many times... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-06-2016, 05:56 AM
Keeper

We eat fresh walleye 6 nights out of 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

We eat walleye 4 out of 6 nights usually. Deep fried, pan fried, various types of baked walleye
Old 05-06-2016, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

We don't do shore lunch as often anymore due to the time and effort but we always have fish at night. We do walleye/seafood chimichangas, walleye/seafood pasta alfredo etc. We do fish tacos for shore lunches with things like beans and potato salad vs the standard shore lunch. Takes less time and easy clean up.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Keeper

Default Evening meals except last evening

Our group loves fresh fish. We have fish as the meat dish every evening except the last night before leaving. the last night is the exception as it gives everyone a chance to fill their limits for take home. I usually prepare a huge batch of chicken wings, they are often the meat dish for the final night.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 AM
Wallhanger

We have fish for dinner 3-4 times on nights 1,3,5 & maybe 6. Day 7's fish are kept to bring home. It's interesting seeing other group's routines and how they vary and evolve. At the first camp we went to years ago, we boated out 30 minutes or more to the area we fished and had shore lunch every day. The cabin we stay at now has good fishing right in the area, within 10 minutes or so. Here we started with shore lunch every day, but it quickly changed to coming back to the cabin for lunch and only having shore lunch occasionally when we have new guys in the group. It's part of the "Canada experience", but as we get older some of the guys would rather go back to the cabin for lunch and grab an hour's snooze before getting back on the lake. I see that other groups fish after dinner for the night bite, but that's never been part of our trip. We fish until 6 and return to the cabin. By the time everyone's had a drink, cleaned fish, made dinner, etc, we don't eat until practically 8 PM. Time for another drink, clean up dinner, maybe a card game or two and we're in bed by 10. In 49 days I get to start that routine, again (but who's counting?).
Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 AM
Wallhanger

Once a day for shore lunch, and walleye parmesan for dinner one night for sure, maybe walleye cakes or wild rice stuffed walleye hors d'oeurves before dinner
Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoeguy View Post
We have fish for dinner 3-4 times on nights 1,3,5 & maybe 6. Day 7's fish are kept to bring home. It's interesting seeing other group's routines and how they vary and evolve. At the first camp we went to years ago, we boated out 30 minutes or more to the area we fished and had shore lunch every day. The cabin we stay at now has good fishing right in the area, within 10 minutes or so. Here we started with shore lunch every day, but it quickly changed to coming back to the cabin for lunch and only having shore lunch occasionally when we have new guys in the group. It's part of the "Canada experience", but as we get older some of the guys would rather go back to the cabin for lunch and grab an hour's snooze before getting back on the lake. I see that other groups fish after dinner for the night bite, but that's never been part of our trip. We fish until 6 and return to the cabin. By the time everyone's had a drink, cleaned fish, made dinner, etc, we don't eat until practically 8 PM. Time for another drink, clean up dinner, maybe a card game or two and we're in bed by 10. In 49 days I get to start that routine, again (but who's counting?).
hahahahah I'm glad someone else has this issue. It's a hot topic for our group with the older guys. Like my Dad. LOL But, no easy solution because nobody wants to stop fishing at 4 or 5 to come and clean fish. Seems like the fish turn off during the mid-day and about that 3 or 4 pm time frame they kind of turn back on so you end up staying out til 6 or 7. We don't fish after dinner either but might this year since we can fish closer to camp and off the dock. Place we have been going you can't fish off the dock.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Wallhanger

We have fish two times......Once for lunch and one for dinner...both times they are grilled with a meyer lemon and habanero olive oil, black pepper and garlic salt. If we happen into the right Northern (27 inches). we have that as well as walleye. Our other meals include Venison Burgers, Venison tenderloin and grilled shrimp,Prime Beef Porterhouses, Goat cheese and bruchetta covered grilled Pork chops,Venison Italian sausage and peppers,slow basted BBQ chicken, Smoked chicken and porcini omelettes and venison chili dogs.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Keeper

We eat walleye every night but the last back in camp so we can bring fish home. We grill something the last night, whatever I had in the freezer from home. We have a large group but we each bring our own food and mostly eat on our own morning and evening.

Rarely do we have a fish shore lunch. Too lazy I guess, or maybe too old. Instead we all meet up around noon on a beach and have cold sandwiches or grill brats or pork burgers and other snacks and goodies. A couple in our group have portable Weber gas grills. We are done in a short hour and back fishing we go. So I guess our food list for each trip is pretty simple.

A tradition we have had for almost 30 years is our all-camp meal on Tuesday or Wednesday night. We typically have 7 families on our trip. We make our fish on the fire a couple different ways and each bring a dish to pass. What a feast.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
Considering the high cost of walleye fillets, my trip is free about Wednesday.
I made the big mistake of going to Costco with my wife and having her see that Costco was selling Canadian walleye fillets for $9.99 per pound. She then observed, correctly, that if we spent $2500 per year on buying frozen walleye we would save money and get a lot more fish to eat.