Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul or LOTW Resorts - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Lac Seul or LOTW Resorts

Started this thread on Strictly Fishing, but I think I have decided I either want to take my son to Lac Seul or LOTW on the Canadian side after hearing the positives about not having to fish the large water that is on the Minnesota side (wind).

I want to take my oldest son as a high school graduation gift. I am thinking late June or sometime in July. I would like to take my boat and I would like to hire a guide for 1-2 days to learn the lake quicker!! Want to fish for Walleyes, but may take some time and cast for some Northern Pike too!!

I would be OK with meals being prepared by someone else, but not necessary.

Never been to either lake, so I'm asking for any input to make this graduation gift the best memory I can give my son.

Thanks for the replies in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Keeper

I would say any of the resorts on lac suel just north of Perrrault falls would work. I stopped fishing lac suel a few years ago and started fishing Low. I like the milesbay area. We stay at rex toltons milesbay camp but don't think they have a guide. I would suggest Grassy narrows in milesbay orJared at Obabikoin bay is a great guy and camp if you want more of a American plan stay. July is a good time for walleye and muskie in that area. Never have fished for pike. These three are all boat to camps. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Keeper

Thumbs up 👍Lac Seul

If you want to fish Walleye, Lac Seul is a Walleye factory! Your plan to hire a guide the first 1-2 days is a great idea to learn the lake & safe travel routes & put you on fish fast! I have fished the NW area on Lac Seul for 14 years & love it! You would need to contact resorts now to check on availability & make your reservations. Some resorts to contact in the NW area are:
Lac Seul Lodge
Fisherman’s Cove
Onaway Lodge
White Wing Resort
Cherobs Resort
Gawley’s
Evergreen

Good luck!

RBF

Last edited by rather-be-fishin; 10-25-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Keeper

I agree with rather-be-fishing about the NW section of Lac Seul. I've been fishing it since 1997 and out of White Wing Resort since 2003 and have three trips booked for next summer. Great owners and facilities and they do have guides available. You can PM me if you have any questions.

www.whitewingresort.com
Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

I was a bit puzzled by the comment in the original post about wanting to not go to the Minnesota side of LOW because of the wind, but apparently being willing to go to the Canada side of LOW or Lac Seul. These are still big bodies of water that typically involve long boat rides to/from fishing spots. LOW and Lac Seul are phenomenal fisheries, but may not be the ideal spot for a first timer.

I think of Lac Seul and LOW as being something akin to going to a Chinese buffet for lunch for the first time. If you don't know what you like or dislike, you end up eating way too much. Lac Seul and LOW might be great choices for you if you intend to go back year after year, such that you can accumulate information each trip and build up your knowledge of the body of water. If you don't intend to go back many times, I wonder if you might be better off on a smaller body of water.

Whatever way you decide to go in terms of your trip, I urge you to carefully consider what might be important to you and your son. For example, you indicated that you want to target walleyes and will do some fishing for pike (and maybe muskies). You want to bring your own boat and might consider housekeeping or an American plan.

There are other things that you might want to ponder. Are you targeting numbers versus size of walleyes? What level of services do you want or expect (e.g. fish cleaning, WIFI, someone to assist you at the dock)? Is there a docking fee or gas allotment? Do you bring your own linens/towels? What is the camp's "atmosphere" like?

Nearly every fishing lodge in Canada has great fishing and owners/managers that "know how to take care of you". They will soon be out of business if they don't. My point is that another person's "ideal" fishing lodge and lake may or may not be a good choice for you. Give careful thought to what you want/expect from a lodge and lake.

Many fishing lodges are presently finalizing their cabin availability for 2018. Guests that want to return normally need to declare their intentions before end of year. Thus, now is a good time to start investigating fishing lodges as we are before the "show" season in Q1 2018.

As you start narrowing your list of potential fishing lodges, spend time TALKING to the lodge owners. Interview them over the telephone, or better yet, spend time with them at their booth at the All Canada Show or similar events. Do more than simply checking out their web sites.

Good fishing and tight lines!! Make some great memories with your son.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Keeper

Well said born to fish. I will also agree with walleye28 that white wing is a awesome resort. We stayed there in the spring and scout bay in the warmer months. Wind is a big factor on big lakes.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I don't find his comment confusing at all.

The US side of LOTW's fishes like Lake Erie. Wide open water... it can have 10' waves. You can lose an entire week of fishing if the wind blows.

The Canadian side... while still a large body of water, is nothing but islands and bays. Protected from the wind... and you can always get out to fish. Even if it isn't comfortable.

Additionally... if fishing LOTW's, Morson does not involve long boat rides. The option is there, if you want to go for an adventure, but 90% of our fishing is done within 5-10 minutes of the camp.

Anyhow, just my opinion on what type of trip he's looking for. Being a large body of water does not mean a wide open body of water. That's all he was saying.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:27 AM
Wallhanger

I commented on your other thread and most of us who go to Canada have our favorite resorts. LOW and Lac Suel are great fisheries, but there are plenty of resorts in Canada on many different lakes that can meet your expectations and desires. I'd recommend you hold off on selecting a trip and go to one or two of the major sport shows this winter. DeMoines, Milwaukee, Kansas City and Minneapolis all have big shows with heavy representation from resorts and outfitters from Canada. By going to a show you will get to shop for the trip you want to take and talk to the owners and outfitters who will be providing the services you want.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Minnow

Skis the most important aspect of your post is your desire to spend time with your boy! I was lucky enough to start a father son fish trip with my father when I was 30 which continued till he could no longer make it health wise. Those memories are some of the best memories I have. This always took place on Lac Seul. We did typical resorts, even a few fly ins, but eventually got into a group and utilized a houseboat which cuts down on daily long runs. We go out of LSFL in Hudson.
The best part is that I was able to introduce this to my son, carrying on the tradition and he has already been to Canada for 15 of his 26 year existence.
Truly blessed and memories beyond belief!