Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
kicker motor suggestions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 AM
Minnow

Angry kicker motor suggestions

Do I need a battery separator for kicker motor and starting battery, and will a 3 bank charger be enough? Also do I need five batteries with an Ulterra 112 36 volt with the 2 outboards! I've seen some post that electronics should be by themselves and not on starting battey! Thinking of 15 HP Pro kicker.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Keeper

No separator needed for the main and kicker. Having a "house" battery depends on your electronic needs. I run one, but only because of a solix 12 and onyx 8. The new birds draw a ton of power. With my old setup (HDS 8 and HDS 5) only the starting battery was needed because the older units didn't draw as much power.

Recommend a battery charger for each battery in the boat, not just the trolling batts.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Wallhanger

One starter battery will be fine for both motors. A 36v trolling motor will take 3 battery's alone so you will need at least a 4 bank charger. Honestly with a 36 v trolling motor setup I would just run the electronics off one of the trolling motor battery's if it will work without interference.

Last edited by eriksat1; 03-21-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Minnow

Thumbs up kicker motor suggestions

I have 2 Helix 10's GN2 Bow and console! So I don't need a separate battery for the kicker? and should upgrade charger to 4 Bank. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
One starter battery will be fine for both motors. A 36v trolling motor will take 3 battery's alone so you will need at least a 4 bank charger. Honestly with a 36 v trolling motor setup I would just run the electronics off one of the trolling motor battery's if it will work without interference.
Running it off one TM battery will cause an uneven discharge rate and can damage all 3 batteries.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr yukon View Post
I have 2 Helix 10's GN2 Bow and console! So I don't need a separate battery for the kicker? and should upgrade charger to 4 Bank. Thanks.
You'd probably need 2 batteries wired in parallel running both motors and the electronics and a 4-bank charger. 3 banks on the TM batteries and 1 bank on the 2 parallel engine batteries.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

Why would you need 2 battery's for the motors? Only one motor will be running at a time, kicker or big motor. I have been running my locators and gps off my trolling motor battery's for 20 years never had a problem. Now trying to run off the starting battery I always had problems. Every time I start the motor the gps would do a reset. A on board charger will charge each individual battery as needed. And I only had a 24v system, never had any problem with discharge rate? My trolling motor never knew the difference, nor did my electronics.

Last edited by eriksat1; 03-21-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Why would you need 2 battery's for the motors? Only one motor will be running at a time, kicker or big motor. I have been running my locators and gps off my trolling motor battery's for 20 years never had a problem. Now trying to run off the starting battery I always had problems. Every time I start the motor the gps would do a reset. A on board charger will charge each individual battery as needed. And I only had a 24v system, never had any problem with discharge rate? My trolling motor never knew the difference, nor did my electronics.
If you add a second battery in parallel, you just doubled your reserve capacity. I've been running that way with a 225 Opti, kicker, and large Lowrance units for nearly 20 years and no issues. If I'm on the bowmount and not trolling with the kicker, I have to start the engine every 2-3 hours to top the batteries off. If trolling on the kicker, it keeps everything charged fine.

If you discharge one or more of your batteries at an uneven rate and it does get real low, you can get cell reversal and the battery(s) is toast.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

I think running 5 battery's is ridiculous. With my Ranger my 24 v 2 battery trolling motor system I could run my trolling motor for 2 days before I would really need a charge, and all my electronics off of it as well. I never had a premature battery failure, they normally last about 5 years. That is the problem with starting battery's they are not made for continuous discharge like a deep cycle is designed for. The electronics don't draw squat compared to what the trolling motor draws. I would think with a 36 v 3 battery system you could run for 3 or 4 days without a charge. The electronics wouldn't dent it.

Last edited by eriksat1; 03-21-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I think running 5 battery's is ridiculous. With my Ranger my 24 v 2 battery trolling motor system I could run my trolling motor for 2 days before I would really need a charge, and all my electronics off of it as well. I never had a premature battery failure, they normally last about 5 years. That is the problem with starting battery's they are not made for continuous discharge like a deep cycle is designed for. The electronics don't draw squat compared to what the trolling motor draws. I would think with a 36 v 3 battery system you could run for 3 or 4 days without a charge. The electronics wouldn't dent it.
All depends on how much you use that bowmount. With my 36V 101 bowmount, alone with no electronics, I can get about 8 hours of use out of it jigging in current before the batteries start to die. 2-3 days if I'm bumping around place to place by main motor and dropping the bowmount here and there casting for an hour or so with minimal use. Put in a full day of jigging in current with the electronics hooked to one of the bowmount batteries, draining that one to nothing, then you're a prime candidate for cell reversal and trashing the battery.

Tags
ulterra 15 hp kicker