Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Merc pro-kicker 15 EFI - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Wallhanger

My tr1 is before garmin owned it. Maybe they changed it but I would give calumet marine a call. I know they installed allot of tr1s. They should know if you have to have throttle. When I bought mine I was just going to get the autopilot. I already had a throttle control. I was told it would work fine that way. He just convinced me it is somewhat nicer to have everything on one remote. Unless garmin changed the software so if it does not sense the throttle control it will not work. I thought I have seen other internet posts with people using tr1 golds with other remote throttle controls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
My tr1 is before garmin owned it. Maybe they changed it but I would give calumet marine a call. I know they installed allot of tr1s. They should know if you have to have throttle. When I bought mine I was just going to get the autopilot. I already had a throttle control. I was told it would work fine that way. He just convinced me it is somewhat nicer to have everything on one remote. Unless garmin changed the software so if it does not sense the throttle control it will not work. I thought I have seen other internet posts with people using tr1 golds with other remote throttle controls.

I was told that the engine would shut off after 10 minutes if the throttle control was not used.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

It is not possible for the tr1 to shut down your kicker motor. The only connection is a rpm sensing wire wrapped around a spark plug wire. That would not be able to shut off your engine. I looked at the manual online. They have not changed any hookups under the hood that I could see. Maybe you could find someone that switched brands of motors. They might have a throttle control that do not need. You could then just plug that into the tr1 and fool it into thinking you have it hooked to your motor. You could try calling garmin and try to get them to come out with a efi version. I think the problem is they do not sell as many tr1 golds anymore. With the high end gps controlled trolling motors. More people are using that to steer instead of a tr one gold.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:25 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
It is not possible for the tr1 to shut down your kicker motor ......

I'm just going by what I was told by the "experts"
Old 03-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Minnow

Red face New Merc pro-kicker 15 EFI

New boat has Kicker pre-rig already! what is needed to install new Kicker, would like to know what price range It should be.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Slot Fish

Basspro and onlineoutboards have the best low price based on volume, the rest is more about who you will have fix the sucker when it breaks, or who will mount it for you. So unless you have a cousin in the business which most of us don’t you’ll get down to the same numbers provided you do your research.

BTW - part of that research would tell you to buy in the spring to get a better warranty from some manufacturers.
Traxxis 80lb transom mount
Solix 12 Mega w/ 360
Helix 12 SI up front
Fishing specialties transducer mount
Custom over gunnel bait tray
Beavertail 2200 blind & LED light bars
Old 03-24-2018, 03:37 AM
Slot Fish

I thought that one of the advantages with a kicker was to be able to manually start it if your batteries dies and you couldn't get your main fired up. However, I see that the new 15 EFI pro kicker does not have a pull start. Why?
Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW66 View Post
I thought that one of the advantages with a kicker was to be able to manually start it if your batteries dies and you couldn't get your main fired up. However, I see that the new 15 EFI pro kicker does not have a pull start. Why?
Where are you reading that at? It clearly shows a pull start in the pictures.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:36 AM
Slot Fish

It lists “electric” as the starting option. Models that have both will list electric and manual.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...roke/15-20-hp/
Old 03-24-2018, 08:39 AM
Slot Fish

I am not to worried about a pulling an electric start EFI - but opinions are nice.

It may be that they didn’t list it by mistake.
Traxxis 80lb transom mount
Solix 12 Mega w/ 360
Helix 12 SI up front
Fishing specialties transducer mount
Custom over gunnel bait tray
Beavertail 2200 blind & LED light bars