Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Group 27 Deep Cycle Batteries - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 04-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Minnow

Question group 27 batteries

Just picked up new 2018 LUND 1900 TYEE, checked trolling and starting batteries! The dealer installed INTERSTATE group 27 batteries for 36 volt ULTERRA and the same for starting, are they as good as OPTIMA? Or should I change them?
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2018, 09:12 PM
Wallhanger

Optima deep cycle are junk. Starting ok.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:40 AM
Wallhanger

I would use the new batteries that came with the boat unless the dealer is willing to trade them out for something better at no cost. When these are done for then get what you want. Just my thoughts.
Have a great day.
Jim
Old 04-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaotter View Post
I would use the new batteries that came with the boat unless the dealer is willing to trade them out for something better at no cost. When these are done for then get what you want. Just my thoughts.
Have a great day.
Jim
Agree with this. If and when you do replace them, whether Optima or something else, AGM batteries would be an upgrade to consider. I'm not aware that Interstate makes a group 27 AGM so I assume yours are not.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:15 PM
Wallhanger

Save yourself a lot of time and effort. Go to Sams club and buy their Duracell group 27 or 31 AGM's. They are made by East Penn DEKA in USA. Same Battery that Bass Pro, Cabelas and Batteries Plus sells for almost $300. The group 31 is $180. You'll pay almost double for anything else. I'm on year 4 for both of mine and they are as strong as ever. The Optima's used to be good, right before they started making them in Mexico.

You can pay more, but you won't get any better battery for less.

Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr yukon View Post
Just picked up new 2018 LUND 1900 TYEE, checked trolling and starting batteries! The dealer installed INTERSTATE group 27 batteries for 36 volt ULTERRA and the same for starting, are they as good as OPTIMA? Or should I change them?
They are both manufactured by Johnson Controls at the present time. I deliver parts for a local store a couple days a week. Being an auto parts store 99% of the Optima and Interstate batteries we sell are not deep cycle batteries, but just from the way they treat their retailers on warranty issues I wouldn't consider buying an Optima battery. Interstate is almost no questions asked, just need a code from a failed battery test. Optima can ask for clarification on issues that have nothing to do with the battery, but our customers never know. We just switch out the battery then deal with Optima.