Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Helix with iPilotLink - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Keeper

Default Helix with iPilotLink

Helping a friend buy a new boat. He hasn't owned a boat for 20 years so he is in for a tech shock. He is thinking he would like to "stay with" Hummingbird ( he had one once and liked it). I am not a Hummingbird guy. Does iPilot Link network to Helix if using a Navionics Chip? My thinking is, out west Lakemaster chips give a little less than complete coverage. Does Hummingbird have a list of mapped lakes?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerbill View Post
Helping a friend buy a new boat. He hasn't owned a boat for 20 years so he is in for a tech shock. He is thinking he would like to "stay with" Hummingbird ( he had one once and liked it). I am not a Hummingbird guy. Does iPilot Link network to Helix if using a Navionics Chip? My thinking is, out west Lakemaster chips give a little less than complete coverage. Does Hummingbird have a list of mapped lakes?
Thanks
It doesn't network using any chip. It networks through the Humminbird unit itself. If you want I-Pilot Link, you can get the follow the contour feature with Lakemaster. Although Navionics works, Lakemaster is best for Humminbird.

For me, I like side imaging, down imagine, and 360. But the big benefit to me is taking the boat control element out of it.

When I catch a fish and I am operating the trolling motor manually, all of the sudden my focus is on the fish and not where I am going. With I-Pilot Link, I can let it keep running its course or I can simply hit spot lock which is like hitting the pause button until I am done dealing with the fish.

Here's the only thing I wish I had. The Helix 7 G2N (N is for networking and very important it has N in its name) is perfect size for my dash. The only thing I wish it had are those 3 short cut buttons. So you know on your car radio you have 4-6 buttons to tune into a certain station. Fish finders have that as well. There's several different split screen combination, and there's likely that one you turn to most of the time. The Helix 9 has it.

A real simple setup is to have a Helix 9 on the dash and just a basic fish finder that's compatible with universal sonar to make use of spotting fish on the front and back of the boat.

If you want to spend more money, you can get 2 Humminbirds for the console and bow. Again your trolling motor has a transducer built in if you go with I-Pilot Link.

I went with side imagine for the back of my boat and a basic map and sonar for the front. I have my units networked. When you get into this kind of setup the cost is obviously going to go up significantly.

If you just want the basic sonar up on the bow and your map, sonar, and I-Pilot Link controls from your driver seat, keep in mind all networkable units can do 360. So you can always upgrade to 360 later.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks
The "follow the contour" feature only works with Lakemaster cards.

https://www.humminbird.com/Category/.../i-Pilot-Link/

The link below will take you to the Lakemaster card page. From that, select the "DETAILS" tab for the state or region you need (western states is on page 2). Then scroll down to the bottom where you will see the link to the lake list (PDF file).

https://www.humminbird.com/Freshwate...hy/Lakemaster/

Read your owner's manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 08:24 AM
Minnow

Question Helix G2N with ipilotlink

how to connect my HELIX to ULTERRA for IPILOT-link for GPS and auto chart live? Or does it connect with the GPS module!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Wallhanger

Yukon, The connection is with the ethernet cable that comes with the ipilot link. You will also need an adapter pigtail for the Helix to connect to the cable. .Bob

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 04-22-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Thanks

Like everyone else said, the extra features of the LINK are only compatible with Lakemaster cards. Also any Gen helix 9 and above are networkable with the LINK as well as a lot of the older "legacy" HB units. NO Helix 5 is networkable and only the G2N Helix 7s are. Depending on which unit he goes with, will determine if he needs the adapter (most likely he will need it)

Here is a list on HB units that are compatible with the iPilot Link system...
https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/compatibility/i-pilot-link

He can use a navionics card if he wants, he will still be able to use all the features of the iPilot via the handheld remote, but won't be able to use any of the LINK features.

Last edited by Karas3434; 04-23-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 PM
Keeper

You can also buy individual lakes through humminbird Chart Select. Here is the link

https://chartselect.humminbird.com/

You can zoom in to see which lakes they offer
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n
Old 04-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr yukon View Post
how to connect my HELIX to ULTERRA for IPILOT-link for GPS and auto chart live? Or does it connect with the GPS module!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqxARCcYRmk&t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4VPD-QIyNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl_GgAXFVRM

This will explain.