Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Minnow

Default Lac Seul

I'm heading to Lac Seul the 8-15th of June. It will be our first time fishing there. Does anyone have any tips, tactics or general locations to give us a start. We will be staying at Whitewing Lodge up by Ear Falls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Keeper

Been a few years since I've been up in June, but will be up there the week after you this year. A normal year will have them still in and starting to come out of spawning bays and mouths of streams/rivers coming into the lake. Don't think the sanctuaries will be open yet when you're there but the mouth of the Wenesaga river and sawmill bay will be a couple of the more popular spots at the end of the lake where you'll be at. If you go down the lake, waters flowing into McKenzie bay and lakes associated with those waters will be popular. Do most of our fishing in 6-10' of water but can be found shallower depending on water clarity. Most techniques will catch fish, we prefer to anchor and pitch 1/8 oz jigs or slip bobber. An early spring will have fish further out into the lake on main points and humps.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Wallhanger

Donít forget Radar Island and the creek on the left further into Sawmill Bay. Also Brown Bear Creek. I catch fish In all three places at all times of the year.

Frank
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Where is Brown Bear Creek?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Keeper

I have fished the NW section of Lac Seul in June for the past 22 years with the last 16 being out of Whitewing. There are many excellent fishing spots within an easy boat ride of the resort, however, Lac Seul is also noted for a lot of hazards. In order to get acclimated to the area I would suggest that you consider hiring a guide for your first couple of days. If interested, talk to Dave and Bobbie (the owners of Whitewing) and see if they can hook you up with Lawrence (their go to guide). He's a super nice guy and knows the area very well.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Fished out of Whitewing the last 6 summers. You will have a great time. In June you will find fish anywhere and everywhere, you won't have to go far. If you watch your sonar and stay on the recommended navigation routes you should be fine. If you leave the routes, then slow down and watch your screen. Minnows and crawlers both work well for us on jigs. If you can find moving water, the fishing can be ridiculously good. We still talk about one of our days on Lac Seul in June from a few years back. Have a great time and share your experience with us.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

Keep driving North. 🙂
Old 02-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Default Lac Seul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumcfar View Post
Where is Brown Bear Creek?

Itís about half way from Whitewing to Steamboat Narrows on the north shoreline. Stream goes up to Christine Lake (we used to call that lake brown bear). Now they are calling the last little lake in the chain of three lakes brown bear.

We caught all sorts of fish there in August the last time we were there. Walleye, smallmouth, and northerns trolling crank baits around the rock reef in the mouth of the creek.

Frank
Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I found it now on google earth. Never ever fished that spot. How are the hazards heading towards the mouth of the creek. Seem like it could be an early spot also with the creek there.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumcfar View Post
I found it now on google earth. Never ever fished that spot. How are the hazards heading towards the mouth of the creek. Seem like it could be an early spot also with the creek there.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the hazards are marked on my paper map. I never came close to hitting anything. The real hazard in the area is the bar off the island to the right as you come out of the mouth of the creek. I always circle wide around the top of that island when heading towards Steamboat. Itís been quite a while since I was there earlier in the year, so it may be trickier at that time.

I fish the area near Ear Falls mostly in the late August time frame. This is just one of many spots that can hold nice fish at this time of the year, contrary to the popular belief that you have to head to MacKenzie Bay to catch good fish. I do go to MacKenzie once each trip, but just to see the lake. We catch nice fish there too, but it is not necessary.

Frank