Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bought new Warrior 208, Towing question. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Minnow

Default Bought new Warrior 208, Towing question.

I recently bought a Warrior 208 and want to protect it from the elements as best I can. Installed a TrailerTux. Upgraded to a Dowco cover. My question is do Warrior owners tow with the cover on or off,and will the cover harm the boats gel coat? I tow alot on gravel roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

Most high quality boat covers have a felt like material liner. This protects the gel coat very well. However, you stated you live on gravel. In that case I would leave the cover off. Yes you will get dust all over everything, but you won't get fine particles of gravel rubbing between the gel coat and the cover.

Just my opinion.

BTW, congrats on the new boat!!
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Leave the cover off if you don't want the cover to scratch the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

By the way, what part of Great Falls so you live in?

My brother in law and family live in Great Falls.

Be safe
Old 05-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Minnow

Just south of Benefis Hospital on the outskirts.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Wallhanger

ZERO CHANCE, and I mean ZERO, that I would pull my 208 down a gravel road without the travel tarp on it for more than a very short distance at low speed. Anything beyond that would be a hard no.

There is NO WAY I want everything in the boat covered in dust. There won’t be a square inch of your boat anywhere, including every compartment, nook and cranny that doesn’t have a coating of dust on it, let alone the whole interior and all your carpet. Now add water. That’s an absolute nightmare...

The Warrior cover is very good. It has thick felt like coating anywhere it touches the gel coat. I’m not sure about your custom cover, but I had a custom snap on cover made and I had it made with the same material on the inside.

Keep the tarp tight. That is the single most important thing. The tighter the better. It can’t flap and rub if it’s tight. The second thing is to keep it clean. Hose it off now and then and let it dry in the sun.

The combination of the Trailer Tux and a well fitting tarp cinched down tight is the best system there is to protect your boat and keep it looking like new. I avoid gravel whenever I can, but unfortunately it’s not always possible. I’ve been using that combination with a couple Warriors over the last several years and I’ve had zero issues with gel coat scuffing or damage.

Waxy

Last edited by Waxy; 05-05-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:57 AM
Minnow

Thanks Waxy for the advise. I actually saw a photo of your 208 on here. Mine is pretty much the same. Same color except ordered mine with a white bottom,300 Verado, 15 HP Pro kicker. Went with the Trailer Tux from your experience with them. Can't wait to get this thing out, but right now it's snowing here.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15pounder View Post
Thanks Waxy for the advise. I actually saw a photo of your 208 on here. Mine is pretty much the same. Same color except ordered mine with a white bottom,300 Verado, 15 HP Pro kicker. Went with the Trailer Tux from your experience with them. Can't wait to get this thing out, but right now it's snowing here.
Post a pic. Iíd love to see one with the white bottom.

Itís snowing here too, looks like January, very depressing lol.

Youíre going to LOVE that boat and trailer setup!

Waxy
Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM
Keeper

I agree with Waxy. I try not to take mine down gravel. But my favorite lake trout waters necessitate a 25mile trip down a gravel road (at 15mph ). I have a custom cover and stone guard. I still get dust inside if the road is really dry, but it's not too bad. I had a bunch of glass work done on my boat last year to fill in some screw holes and the factory radio opening. A fiberglass shop is like a gravel road on steroids. I'm still vacuuming and rinsing from that...

And I agree a good cover shouldn't scratch anything...period. Just be careful that what ties the boat down (in my case bungee cords) doesn't rub. And be sure to secure the cover as tightly as possible. Enjoy your new Warrior!