Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need some recommendations on a small tin boat. - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-16-2021, 03:49 PM
Wallhanger

Start calling around. Any dealers close?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2021, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

I would do the 16' - the reason being at least here in PA if you are on an Army Corps of Engineers lake anything under 16' requires a life jacket at all times.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:38 PM
Keeper

Brother had a 14' Sea Nymph in the shallow draft. We used the crap out of it with a older 2 stroke 15 hp Evinrude. We fished off the ports in Lake Michigan for salmon in the spring and fall, walleye and bass all over the inland lakes in MI. Drummond Island area with three of us in the boat. Great boat. He transformed the middle seat into a storage area/seat which was great. Only had a electric on the back with the 15. Was all we needed. I even took it out in some rough seas (6-8 footers) when I was young and dumb just to see how it would handle. No issues. Routinely trolled in 2 to 3 footers off the pier-heads. It was also nice and light weight where we could pick it up off the trailer and haul it where we needed it. Second trip for the motor and gear.

I am actually looking at purchasing the same type of lightweight small boat for winter river fishing and small lake/pond fishing. I currently have a 14' Smoker Craft with the flat floor I am going to sell. Too heavy for what I want. I have a 15 hp Suzuki I bought last year which works on both and with a change of prop is my kicker motor on my big boat.

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Old 01-23-2021, 07:37 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 1988 Alumacraft V14 Lunker recently really a good boat for the year. It was powered by a tired 1989 15 hp 2stroke Merc, yet I could hit 17-18 mph with it by myself. I also has a 55lb thrust Minnkota on the back, with a Grp 29 battery I could fish all day. Another boat to consider would be a Alumarine, made in Canada. I fished out of a 16ft, at Camp in Ont, with a 15 Yamaha on it. It was a very well made boat, very stable and performed well, with two of us in the boat. I would recommend a roller trailer for easy loading/unloading at shollow launches.
Lowrance Hook2 5 SplitShot Bow
2007 Mercury 5HP Kicker when needed
2020 Ford F-150 SuperCrew XLT 2.7 ECO
Old 01-26-2021, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pothen View Post
Start calling around. Any dealers close?

Yeah, I actually have a tohatsu and Suzuki dealer close. I was also thinking about ordering from onlineoutboards.com again. I was thinking about ordering the mercury 25hp jet tiller.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:03 PM
Keeper

Thanks for everyone's feedback. In the end I decided on an Lund SSV-16 from a dealer four hours from me...it turns out the SSV-14 & SSV-16 at the local dealer were both damaged. The 16' Lund looks huge next to the 14', but I think the extra size will let me do some mapping on bigger lakes without having to plow the Warrior around off-plane all day.

I'm still deciding on a motor. Since the SSV-16 is rated for a 40HP, I'm trying to find a Suzuki DF40A as my first choice or a Mercury 4-cylinder 40HP with the Big Tiller Handle as my second choice. It seems like a lot of motor, but at least I know I won't regret not maxxing it out.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:42 AM
Wallhanger

Congrats on your purchase . you made the correct choice going with the 16. Now good luck on the motor. Check for rebates and max it out
Old 01-30-2021, 09:38 PM
Keeper

Congrats on the SSV16. Great boats. Simple and tough. We have an old S-16 that has hit every stump in the lake and it keeps on floating.

I will inevitably be the minority opinion on this, but it think a 40 hp is too much motor for these boats. It’s not that they are dangerously overpowered, but the motor is heavy enough and cantilevered far enough off the stern that the boat isn’t as well balanced as it would be with a 25/30. You might also find that idle speed will be pretty darn fast which might compromise
Trolling abilities.

If you add a plywood floor and transfer weight forward you’ll probably compensate somewhat, but you might still find the bow sitting high while at rest which can make it pivot in the wind more than you like and can be quite a fight with a transom mounted electric motor.

To be candid, I’ve never run a 40 on the current SSV16, but I have on the previous S and SV models and they were substantially more stern heavy than I liked. It works, but I didn’t think it was as well matched as a lighter motor with a smaller gear case in the water. The SSV is a little wider at the chines than these earlier boats and is heavier overall so it could handle the heavier motor better, but I’m still unsure.

With a transom mounted trolling motor and me in the boat by myself, it was nearly impossible to get the bow to come back down and once it did the boat still porpoised even with the motor tucked all the way in. It’s fair to assume the motor height probably was too low, but it just wasn’t as nice of a setup as the same boats with 25’s.

However, with a 40 you could probably fill the boat to the gunnels with gear and still plane it out and run 30 mph. And if you’re not solo, that factors in too. Empty, it would be a rocket.

I would avoid the “Bigfoot” version of the motors as the larger gearcase would be detrimental to the performance of the boat.

A 25 will easily plane an SSV 16 with a couple of guys and their stuff. A 30 might be a perfect complement since they tend to be the same physical size as the 25 with more thunder.

Anyway, just offering my opinion. Enjoy the boat!

Steve
Old 01-30-2021, 10:48 PM
Keeper

A couple of links to SSV performance with 25, 30, and 40 hp motors. These are evinrudes, but I would imagine you’d see very similar results with any like-powered motors.

The guys posting their numbers seem to be almost fanatical with their testing and details:

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post...p-etec-5890503

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post...full_version=1

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post...o-a-30-5760141

Hopefully you find some value in their experimentations

Steve
Old 01-31-2021, 07:17 PM
Keeper

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm supposed to order a Suzuki DF40A tomorrow for May/June delivery. There are no 30's or 40's at all in Canada. I may go back to the 30 after reading your post (I've been a bit uneasy about ordering a 40 anyways...I've never seen a tinnie with a motor that big.)

I do plan to run my old 36v Terrova off my Warrior to map electric only lakes. That's 100lbs of batteries and the motor itself at the bow. I also planned to mount the gas tank under the port split bench to help offset my 240lbs at the stern. And the factory floor is around 80lbs apparently. Still, If I have any issues keeping the bow down, that'll be a fail for staying on course while mapping. And, of course, I'll only be doing 6-10mph to capture bottom hardness data.

Here are my current engine choices by HP:
  • Yamaha FC25LC - ~145lbs - 432cc SOHC 2 cylinder - 3 Year Warranty - $6,415Cdn
  • Suzuki DF30ATHL - 163lbs - 490cc SOHC 3 cylinder - 6 Year Warranty - $6,495Cdn
  • Suzuki DF40ATL - 229lbs - 941cc DOHC 3 cylinder - 6 Year Warranty - $9,000Cdn

Now that I went through the exercise of typing that list out, the Suzuki DF30 does look like the way to go. The DF40 only comes as a remote. Based on the conversion cost of the Yamaha (have to buy a remote to get power trim & tilt and then convert to tiller), the DF40 could well wind up over $9,000 by the time it's done. Thanks again. You may have saved me some money and a lot of grief. Cheers.