Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mounting Mercury 30 EFI on a Lund SSV-16 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-21-2021, 02:15 PM
Keeper

Default Mounting Mercury 30 EFI on a Lund SSV-16

After a *long* search, I finally managed to find an outboard for my new tinny. The Merc was my second choice, but I'm not complaining with the shortage of outboards this season.

I tried to research as much as I could about mounting the outboard to the boat. This is the first time I have tackled it myself. I've seen some conflicting info about mounting height, so I went ahead and mounted it where I think it's correct and thought I would get some feedback before sealing it to the transom. I know a test run would be ideal, but I'm trying to get ready ahead of time and I'm hoping I won't have to remove it once it's sealed down.

Speaking of sealing the holes, I'm still debating whether it would be better to use silicone or 3M 4200...I have both. 3M 4200 is a little more permanent, while I think silicone might be a little better at dampening any vibrations. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Without further ado, this is where I have it mounted now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-XBmsQsr-X2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	325076   Click image for larger version

Name:	i-dZBhw2J-X2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	325078   Click image for larger version

Name:	i-gW8snZq-X2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	325080   Click image for larger version

Name:	i-XnzdPDC-X2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	325082   Click image for larger version

Name:	i-bFtKDPh-XL.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	325084  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2021, 02:22 PM
Wallhanger

My 2 cents, I'd raise the motor 1 hole. As it is now, with the fairly slow speed that rig will run, the anti-cavitation plate will be well below the surface.

Also, I'd use the 4200, a lot of silicones are not rated for under-waterline use.

HRG
Old 03-21-2021, 02:37 PM
Keeper

Thanks HRG. I was thinking the same thing, but it sorta goes against the picture in the Merc manual I attached. Several places I read said to have the bottom of hull in line with the water intakes not the cavitation plate. That would be the bottom hole and then some. The motor is also not trimmed in all the way in the pictures. I tried to get the cavitation plate parallel to the bottom of the hull.

I think this combo should run high 20mph's and maybe tickle 30 if set up properly. While I will fish it, it's being rigged primarily for mapping. Keeping the big Warrior on plane under 10mph is a pain and hard on fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2021, 02:43 PM
Wallhanger

Id use it like that. Silicone the holes and go test it out, if you have to raise it then you can 4200 the holes when you are FOR SURE that it is correct.

Personally with that small of boat I would want the motor lower to help it bite and get going. I would also try and find a 4 blade prop for it to help it get a bite and create lift. You need lots of transom lift with tiller boats like that.

The answer on this forum is always "raise it", if your picture had the motor 2" higher you would still get someone to reply and say raise it up. You'll just need to test it to be sure, but I will say too high on that boat while it being under max hp with any sort of load up front will cause you to spin your wheels so to speak when you try to plane it.. especially with the 4 stroke motors these days.

"little boats" (sorry) are quite a bit different than the 17-19' big deep Vs you see most people talking about on here. Even your boat compared to say a 16' lund rebel is a huge difference. Your boat is only 300lbs or so, so you a battery and gear are most likely going to outweigh your boat.. that's something to put it into perspective.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:45 PM
Wallhanger

Default Mounting Mercury 30 EFI on a Lund SSV-16

I have an SSV-16 with a 25hp Yamaha 4 Stroke on it. I would probably lift the motor one hole as well. My rig tops out around 26 mph with just me in it. Not electric start, so no battery weight.

SkWalter
Minn Kota Ulterra 112# 36v iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 SI MEGA G3N Flush Mount
Humminbird Helix 7 DI MEGA G3N Bow Mount

Instagram @harderoutdoors
Old 04-02-2021, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Id use it like that. Silicone the holes and go test it out, if you have to raise it then you can 4200 the holes when you are FOR SURE that it is correct.

Personally with that small of boat I would want the motor lower to help it bite and get going. I would also try and find a 4 blade prop for it to help it get a bite and create lift. You need lots of transom lift with tiller boats like that.

The answer on this forum is always "raise it", if your picture had the motor 2" higher you would still get someone to reply and say raise it up. You'll just need to test it to be sure, but I will say too high on that boat while it being under max hp with any sort of load up front will cause you to spin your wheels so to speak when you try to plane it.. especially with the 4 stroke motors these days.

"little boats" (sorry) are quite a bit different than the 17-19' big deep Vs you see most people talking about on here. Even your boat compared to say a 16' lund rebel is a huge difference. Your boat is only 300lbs or so, so you a battery and gear are most likely going to outweigh your boat.. that's something to put it into perspective.
I wouldn't recommend switching sealants. Many sealants don't mix with silicone. If you don't get all the silicone off and surfaces cleaned well. you may have a leak.