Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Things you just have to learn the hard way, once - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 PM
Wallhanger

Donít hold anything over the tunnel that you want to keep.

Make sure you throw the fish back, not the pliers.

Take out the jaws-reader before releasing the fish.

Donít put anything on the floor that isnít waterproof.
Humminbird Helix 12 and Helix 9(x2)
12' Talon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2021, 05:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vassago View Post
Great post! Good learning experience! Did you take your batteries out of the boat for the season? Re-installing batteries in spring seems like a common point where potential problems (self induced) pop up. When setting the boat up I missed the ground lead when hooking up the trim motor resulting in 'wimpy trim' symptom. Managed to diagnose pretty quickly...

Reconnect everything in spring the way you disconnect it in the fall.

And also last weekend...After launching the boat for our first outing at Big Whiteshell Lake, i drove the truck and trailer back up to the parking lot. As I briskly strolled back to the launch, I see my buddy flagging me down to hurry. My initial thought he was eager to wet the lines by our 8am target, but then he started waving both arms, so I picked up the pace and RAN!

By the time I got to the launch, water was 1/2 way up the cockpit floor and sinking fast! You see, I recently changed my setup routine. I used to insert the plug from inside, but unscrewing the splash well lid is a real PITA, so now instead I insert the plug from the outside. Problem is, there's a couple of holes there to plug. We managed to beach the boat quickly, move the drain plug over and pump the water out. The experience left us rattled for the first 1/2 hour but all stress melted away as we started hammering the walleyes for the first time this season!! Hopefully that's it for f-ups for the season!

The drain plug goes into the very bottom centre hole, NOT the livewell drain!
it doesn't hurt to carry a spare plug. we were trolling on Erie and traffic was light. but there was one boat off in the distance on our left. it was a charter boat and being on our left he should give way and let us go first. I wasn't really worried about him but then turned my head and here he came 50' away. I made a hard left turn to miss his boat. things were looking good when his planer board line got hung in the back of our boat. my son stepped out on the outdrive and got the board line free. the charter boat continued trolling away. we reeled our lines in and water was coming up on the floor. I thought the board had knocked a hole in the bottom of the boat. but then I thought about the plug and had his towline pulled the plug. i handed my son a plug and said you get wet. he jumped in and replaces the plug. the boat is about full of water. the pump was pumping then stopping so we continued dipping. we finally caught up by dipping and a part-time pump. I still carry an extra plug. but I replaced the pump with a larger one, I also added an extra pump.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:19 AM
Keeper

How about learned the hard way once...every few years? "I remember where the rocks are on the south end of Mille Lacs and East end of Vermillion..."
Old 06-26-2021, 12:41 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
it doesn't hurt to carry a spare plug. we were trolling on Erie and traffic was light. but there was one boat off in the distance on our left. it was a charter boat and being on our left he should give way and let us go first. I wasn't really worried about him but then turned my head and here he came 50' away. I made a hard left turn to miss his boat. things were looking good when his planer board line got hung in the back of our boat. my son stepped out on the outdrive and got the board line free. the charter boat continued trolling away. we reeled our lines in and water was coming up on the floor. I thought the board had knocked a hole in the bottom of the boat. but then I thought about the plug and had his towline pulled the plug. i handed my son a plug and said you get wet. he jumped in and replaces the plug. the boat is about full of water. the pump was pumping then stopping so we continued dipping. we finally caught up by dipping and a part-time pump. I still carry an extra plug. but I replaced the pump with a larger one, I also added an extra pump.
I once had a plug pulled out by lily pads, backing out or something. Didn't notice until the floor was wet. By that time, the water was over the battery terminals. Slammed on the bilge pump anyway, and put the spare in. 12V isn't really enough to cross terminals in water in a bad way, apparently.

I've also drained boats by driving them - it runs out as fast as if the boat were out of water - so keep that in mind - if the boat starts, go - it will drain itself - then put the plug in. If you have a livewell that fills partially if the drain is open, you can watch how fast it drains under way.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:08 PM
Wallhanger

Always make sure the rope is fastened to the boat before launching. Fortunately, a good samaritan came to the rescue and retrieved my boat.