Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How many volts should I be getting on an AGM starting/charging battery? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-01-2021, 07:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamefisher View Post
A short burst of energy is exactly what you need to start an engine.......your comment is confusing. That being said.........AGM's are considered true dual purpose batteries, meant for both applications.

Can you post a link to where research would point to being otherwise?
Sorry meant to say wet batteries best for short bursts on energy from started and AGM better for sustained draw. I don’t have a link, 3 mechanics at marinas told me recently when I had to buy batteries on a recent trip.
Humminbird Helix G2 x 1
Talon
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2021, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Thin plate design within the battery determines its starting capabilities.
Thin plates can release the energy faster.
More thin plates the more it can produce in burst.
The more plates within, the more plate surfaces you have to store & release energy
Since AGM batteries all have the advantage of thinner plates, they usually will deliver more cranking amps.
The reason they can use thinner plates is the space between the plates is filled with a glass mat that absorbs the liquids. But it also offer far superior support of the plates, in addition more vibration resistance.
Whereas standard flooded cell batteries have no additional support and tend to use thicker plates.
During the production of most AGM batteries, the final group of plates is about 25-30% longer than the battery case
its installed into, it is compressed and then placed within the case, more lead, hence why most agm's weigh more in comparison.
They can do this because they have a separator, the glass mats between the plates.

That's just my take

Advantage of true flooded deep cycle batteries, not the multipurpose types is
the thicker plates help combat the natural shedding of the plates.
The positive plates shed much faster than the negative plates.
But with thicker plates, you can get longevity out of a deep cycle such as those used in golf carts, fork lifts etc...

Last edited by cyber16; 08-02-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

Just read the label!

AGMs deliver the juice for cranking. Measure CCA, not BS.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:32 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Sorry meant to say wet batteries best for short bursts on energy from started and AGM better for sustained draw. I don’t have a link, 3 mechanics at marinas told me recently when I had to buy batteries on a recent trip.

As I said a few posts ago...............those three mechanics better go back to mechanics school! LOL
Old 08-02-2021, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber16 View Post
Thin plate design within the battery determines its starting capabilities.
Thin plates can release the energy faster.
More thin plates the more it can produce in burst.
The more plates within, the more plate surfaces you have to store & release energy
Since AGM batteries all have the advantage of thinner plates, they usually will deliver more cranking amps.
The reason they can use thinner plates is the space between the plates is filled with a glass mat that absorbs the liquids. But it also offer far superior support of the plates, in addition more vibration resistance.
Whereas standard flooded cell batteries have no additional support and tend to use thicker plates.
During the production of most AGM batteries, the final group of plates is about 25-30% longer than the battery case
its installed into, it is compressed and then placed within the case, more lead, hence why most agm's weigh more in comparison.
They can do this because they have a separator, the glass mats between the plates.

That's just my take

Advantage of true flooded deep cycle batteries, not the multipurpose types is
the thicker plates help combat the natural shedding of the plates.
The positive plates shed much faster than the negative plates.
But with thicker plates, you can get longevity out of a deep cycle such as those used in golf carts, fork lifts etc...

Thanks Cyber, you explained it perfectly.

I've been using Northstar Pure Lead AGM's for about 12 years now, 2 different boats, on my second set. Expensive but with a 4 year 100% replacement guarantee.......they stand behind their product.

Last edited by biggamefisher; 08-02-2021 at 10:36 AM.