Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1st AIM Tournament - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Minnow

Like Robert stated I did the tourney as a co for the experience and maybe to learn a new trick or two. As far as a prize I got an assortment of jigs and slip sinkers from Fin-tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

A bag with a dozen fintech jigs and a tear off coupon at Dicks sporting goods for $10 off hip waders.

I think they should not give out any "prizes" and simply lower the entry fee or just give the prizes to the kids.

I had a great time fishing, but think that the prizes were weak, based on what I had heard in the past.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360

Last edited by Wall-i-Lama; 04-29-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Keeper

Last year at GB I received jigs and coupons for something I didn't use. This year I won a guided trip but the cost of travel is as much as the trip and probably not practical for me.

I like the idea of the drawing with a couple bigger prizes but would rather have something more useful myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Slot Fish

Default Cash Is King

That is why my experence fishing the FLW as a Co-angler was so great! Same advantages as fishing the AIM format with one exception, CASH IS KING!!!!!!

Walleyebry NPAA #993
Old 05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Slot Fish

Default Co-angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyebry View Post
That is why my experence fishing the FLW as a Co-angler was so great! Same advantages as fishing the AIM format with one exception, CASH IS KING!!!!!!
It will be interesting for me to see the different strategies these pros go thru to determine what fish to save for the weigh in at an FLW tourney,(stress). I guess you have to ask yourself why your fishing as a co- angler, and maybe that will help you determine what tournament to sign up for. I think it is a win win for the co's no matter what. Prizes are just a bonus.
NPAA #103
Old 05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Slot Fish

Default Competition is Grand

Robert, I enjoyed fishing the FLW because of the different venues and all the new friends you make. The competition and chance to win $$$ puts it over the top. Sure you can pick up on a few things here and there, but this is a contest with huge amounts of dough going to the winner. Most of the pros I fished with are so dialed in on fishing, they dont have the time to teach you what is what. This is not a guided learning experence for most people. Keep in mind this is their business. The great thing about today is there is many sources to gain information from. The Pros share it in magazines, on the internet, etc. FLW walleye is a great magazine with lots of great information. Also if I wouldnt have won the money I did, I wouldnt have been able to fish half of the tournaments I was lucky enough to fish. The non CRR format has been around for years and I believe it adds to the drama and excitement of the tournament itself. Its like playing poker, what cards to draw, what cards to keep. Should I run 50 miles because the fish are the same lengh, but 6 ounces heavier. Thats what makes this so exciting, you just dont go out and catch a limit, then go after big fish. Your strategy starts way before the minute you leave the dock.
Walleyebry

Walleyebry NPAA #993
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Slot Fish

[quote=walleyebry;1302101]Robert, I enjoyed fishing the FLW because of the different venues and all the new friends you make. The competition and chance to win $$$ puts it over the top. Sure you can pick up on a few things here and there, but this is a contest with huge amounts of dough going to the winner. Most of the pros I fished with are so dialed in on fishing, they dont have the time to teach you what is what. This is not a guided learning experence for most people. Keep in mind this is their business. The great thing about today is there is many sources to gain information from. The Pros share it in magazines, on the internet, etc. FLW walleye is a great magazine with lots of great information. Also if I wouldnt have won the money I did, I wouldnt have been able to fish half of the tournaments I was lucky enough to fish. The non CRR format has been around for years and I believe it adds to the drama and excitement of the tournament itself. Its like playing poker, what cards to draw, what cards to keep. Should I run 50 miles because the fish are the same lengh, but 6 ounces heavier. Thats what makes this so exciting, you just dont go out and catch a limit, then go after big fish. Your strategy starts way before the minute you leave the dock.
Walleyebry[/qu
Walleyebry, don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to fishing the FLW tourneys or I wouldn't be fishing all of them. I think it was a benefit for me to fish an AIM tourney so I can compare. I agree with you, fishing is like poker, but I am not expecting to make big money in these tournaments as a CO. To me fishing as a CO reminds me of on the job training. When your in college you are reading anything you can, studying the lakes you are your going to fish, what techniques you think the pros will use, what kind of boat control are you going to need for the type of weather of a specific day, temp changes all those great things, but when your in that boat with a pro you are learning how its done in the real world from the best, not how its done in a textbook. I don't need them to teach me to learn a ton of information. My job is to keep an open mind and learn, just like on the job training. I think a lot of us do this because we love to fish, and I remind myself that all the time.
NPAA #103
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Tomahawk Eye Guy

Default Ability to pay attention and learn is a must.

This coangling thing definately seems like a great opportunity to learn. Imagin if you will, you were teamed up for the MWS and you and your partner wanted to learn some tricks of the trade for this body of water, so you sign up for AIM. And you draw the likes of Mark Martin and Gary Parsons, imagin then you were able to retain some knowledge from coangling, couple that with some skill if you had any, you might have a chance at doing well.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 AM
brett king

Default the right plan

Robert,
It was great to fish with you at the AIM event and you absolutely have the right plan of attack on tournaments. You are already a good fisherman and now you are taking the right steps towards becoming a very good tournament angler. It should be about the experience and gained knowledge not to mention the way you came for the pre-fishing were you can learn the most about disecting a system. Everyone can say what they want I have yet to see a perfect co-angler format wether it is on the bass side or walleye side of things. The one thing I will say is no matter what format you are in as a co-angler you can never go wrong doing it to shorten the learning curve.If after 2 or 3 days of fishing you do not feel you have gotten your money`s worth regardless of what you recieved for being there you might be doing it for the wrong reasons and may want to try the boaters side next time. Look me up Robert I want a re-match on the Miss.

Brett King
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Slot Fish

Default Professionalism

Brett,
I look forward to a re-match on the Miss. I was just out last friday fishing on Pool 4 and stopped in to see Dean to talk about some new fishing gear and of course order more of my favorite jigs, what a great guy he is. I appreciate your comments and look forward to a great year of tournament fishing.
NPAA #103