Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Canadian Insurance Card - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Minnow

Default Canadian Insurance Card

Anyone ever get a Canadian Insurance Card? It's a card from your US insurance provider verifying your coverage on the vehicle you drive into Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Every year I get one.....all you have to do is call your insurance agent and ask for a Ontario auto insurance card, verifying your coverage.

Be sure to get one, as it's my understanding that if you're involved in any type of accident (even a not-at-fault) that the OPP will ask for proof of your auto insurance.......if you can't produce this
card or other proof, your vehicle will be impounded until proof of insurance is produced for the OPP (that they are willing to accept).

If you're a passenger in a friend's vehicle heading north, be sure that the vehicle owner has a
valid Canadian auto insurance card in the vehicle for your trip.

Safe travels,

Rich B
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I use to get one every year from my insurance(State Farm). About 5 years ago they told me that my insurance card for the US would be fine in Canada.

Thanks for the Update on this issue. After reading this post I will ask them for a Canadian Card, because the Canadian Government requires a card for proof of insurance in Canada. State Farm may say that my normal card will be sufficient in Canada, but since the Canadian Government requires a Canadian proof of insurance card, then I will insist that State Farm give me one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Minnow

You don't need to get one anymore, they finally realized that it was unneeded since Canada is included in the coverage territory on a US insurance contract. One less inconvenience.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Keeper

Default State Farm

Our group gets State Farm Canadian proof of insurance every year. If your traveling in remote areas in Canada, error on the side of caution and get it. It costs nothing. This should address any subjective/selective law enforcement opportunities.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:06 AM
Keeper

I get one from my State Farm agent every year.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

My Nationwide agent assured me that my coverage is good in Canada. No need for any additional proof or card. I've never been asked about proof of insurance at the border.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Wallhanger

If there wasn't a reason to have one then the insurance companies wouldn't have a form all ready to send you when it's requested. Maybe it's not legally necessary, but if it's available there must be some reason to have one. I'll err on the side of caution. It's free.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 AM
Wallhanger

Default Card

I don't get one if they ask I just sing the SF jingle and the dude appears with a puff of smoke. Just like a genie
Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Wallhanger

Just got off the phone with Geico and they said a Canadian card is not required for travel in Canada but I requested one anyway. It's free so why not?