Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
drive in walleye lakes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 01-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Minnow

Default drive in walleye lakes

Our group of guys is looking for a new lake to walleye fish in ontario. We have been looking around the dryden area, but really we are just trying to find a great walleye lake with big fish. We don't need a five start resort, guys on a budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Wallhanger

Lac Seul, Abrams, Pelican, Minnitaki are only a short jaunt up 72 from Dryden. Everything you'd want in that chain.

Hate to say it, but going as far as Dryden and not going the rest of the way is like driving across the country to see the Grand Canyon, and stopping at the last gas station and turning around and going home.....
Old 01-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Minnow

For the last 5 years we have drove north of pickle lake, lots of fish just no giants trying to find an even balance of both this year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmitchell View Post
For the last 5 years we have drove north of pickle lake, lots of fish just no giants trying to find an even balance of both this year
Were north of pickle lake?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

This is probably not as close as you may be comfortable with, but we had very good luck for big ones at Tramping Lake, Manitoba, which is near Snow Lake. Last trip, about 10 years ago, 5 of the 8 of us qualified for Master Angler Awards during the week we were there. Walleyes 22" and over must be released. The drive-to lodge, which has changed hands since we were there, is
http://www.wekuskofallslodge.com/ If you decide you are interested, you can get back to me for more info. [email protected] There are a number of very good places closer, but this place seemed to stand out for consistent large fish. We went there 3 or 4 times before gas prices went haywire.

Bill
Old 01-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Wallhanger

Default Stormer and Kirkness Lakes

Check out this thread for information about Stormer Lake Lodge:

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...stormer&page=2

The fishing rivaled that of my better fly-in trips, yet was a drive-to lodge. This lodge has a banner running on Walleye Central.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

how many people does stormer lodge handle on a given day?

are there other cabins or lodges on the lake(s)?

thanks,
phish
Old 01-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Default You're driving right by some good fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmitchell View Post
Our group of guys is looking for a new lake to walleye fish in ontario. We have been looking around the dryden area, but really we are just trying to find a great walleye lake with big fish. We don't need a five start resort, guys on a budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
If you've been fishing around Pickle then you drove by some really good fishing to get there. We have fished Lake Savant for years and it is an excellent fishery. Walleye, Pike and Lake Trout. See my photo album for a few Lake Savant pictures.

Three camps on lake. Wildewood on Lake Savant, Cliff & Roma's and Cat Track. Wildewood has a website. The other two, not sure how to contact them. Someone on this board will know. Wildewood is a trail in from the road in their vehicle. Other two are a very brief flight in. All are good camps with great people running them. We stay at Wildewood and are fat dumd and happy there. Cliff from Cliff & Roma's is the king of the lake and catches Lake Trout like you and I breath.

There will be a lot of choices in all price ranges, but it is going to be harder to get your dates as the booking season is well under way and many solid drive in camps are booked all summer by now.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Wallhanger

Default Stormer Lake Lodge

Let me say first that I am not an owner/operator of Stormer Lake Lodge. I was a guest at the Lodge last year. The Lodge was closed several years and then reopened in 2015.

Stormer Lake Lodge is the only fishing lodge on Stormer and Kirkness Lakes. As the Lodge's name suggests, the Lodge is located on Stormer Lake, a "small" lake by Canada standards. It is connected to Kirkness Lake via an easily navigable river. I would rate Kirkness Lake as a "medium" size lake by Canada standards.

There is another "camp" on Stormer Lake. Stormer Lake Lodge and the other "camp" are separated by a point of land, such that one camp cannot be seen from the other. The other "camp" is owned by local natives. I understand that this camp was mostly abandoned last year. There is also a private cabin on Kirkness Lake that I believe is primarily used by moose hunters. I never saw a boat from either the "camp" or the private cabin on the lakes.

Stormer Lake Lodge has six "cabins" and three "apartments". I'm guessing they can accommodate about 25-30 guests. The Lodge has twelve boats at their dock - all 17.5 foot boats (Lunds or G3) with 40/50 HP four stroke motors. Stormer Lake Lodge is American Plan only.

I hope the above information is helpful. Send me a PM if you want to discuss further off-line.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Last edited by BornToFish; 01-18-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: clarification of content
Old 01-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Keeper

If your on a budget and wanting some bigger walleye why not try the west side of rainy lake. Alot of big walleye caught in that area. I would fish lake of the woods out of morson myself. Go to one of the island resorts. Tamark island or rex toltons milesbay camp. Last year we seen 4 walleyes over 30" caught the week we was there.