Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How many times... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Minnow

Default How many times...

Do you eat fish on a week long trip in the bush? We are putting our menu together for a July trip. On past trips we will eat maybe two dinners and one shore lunch. Looking back it seems like a waste of an opportunity to have some amazing meals of fresh fish. Plus it makes grocery shopping easier and saves on weight which is always a big problem for my group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

Considering the high cost of walleye fillets, my trip is free about Wednesday.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Minnow

Shanny
We were about the same
But this years menu I think we have about 6 meals that include walleye
What I'm looking forward to the most is deep fried walleye with franks hot sauce and blue cheese dressing
50 more days!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acplumber View Post
Shanny
We were about the same
But this years menu I think we have about 6 meals that include walleye
What I'm looking forward to the most is deep fried walleye with franks hot sauce and blue cheese dressing
50 more days!!
notvsure if you dobthis but roll fillets in the hot sauce in a plastic bag then in batter then fry them.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Keeper

I personally love to cook and my brother loves to eat, lol, he cleans the fish and the boat while I prepare the dinner, I prebake a number of meals vacuum seal and freeze at home, a whole Prime Rib, a Corned Beef Brisket ect... Desserts are just before bed and are the highlight of the trip , second only to fishing and that amazing wilderness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	210146  
Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Slot Fish

We have walleye everyday of our week trip.
Fried walleye 2 nights.
Blackened and boiled.
Fish tacos.
Steak and boiled walleye.

The two nights we don't have walleye we have a "shore lunch" at the cabin. Also one time during the week we make a walleye omelet for breakfast.

This is the only week of the year we have a chance to take walleye directly from a pristine lake to the dinner table. We feel it is our "duty" to take advantage. Hey somebody has to do it!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Slot Fish

We eat fish everyday...we have it fried...we have bacon wrapped grilled walleye dipped in Frank's hot sauce or a bbq sauce...we have fish tacos with all the sides. ...poor man's lobster boiled cheeks with drawn butter....walleye chowder...grilled walleye by leaving one side with skin on and grill over hot coals....now I'm hungry
Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

First two days in camp we eat fish, then every other day. In between days each guy on the trip is responsible for at least one home made meal. Usually a wife's "popular with the guys" dish.

We have two prepared meals a day then maybe a snack before we turn in for the night.

We have a breakfast (cold cereal or hot breakfast, alternate every other day) then come back in to camp around one or two PM for our big meal of the day. Take a nap then go back out around five o'clock for the evening bite. Anyone hungry before bed can make a sandwich, popcorn, grilled cheese or what ever we have brought just for that evening snack.

Works for us.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe once in a week. Maybe.

It's usually just me and another person so we try to keep prep and clean-up time to a minimum. Like Live To, I do the some premade stuff at home.

I charcoal cook a pork roast in the kettle with the fat side up which is buried under garlic powder and onion powder (When you think you have enough of both, add more.) Wrapped in foil for the trip; warmed in the oven at camp. Leftovers make great sandwiches.

Warm womp biscuits are nice. Those are the wrapped biscuits you peel the wrapper off and "womp" them on the counter to get them to pop open. Get then "grand" size. For two people, they will work for two meals.

We will do a "breakfast for dinner." We don't bother with a big breakfast in the morning. Cereal, juice, maybe toast then down to the boat. For dinner we will do wheat or flax pancakes, scrambled eggs, etc.

My trips are in the fall (last week of September this year) so we plan to have our big meal of the day at about 2:00 pm then go back out until the lake is dead calm and the skies are cobalt.

Nimstug

I'm ready...
Old 05-06-2016, 05:31 AM
Keeper

We have a big breakfast every morning . I eat oatmeal at home every morning and on a trip i splurge . So sausage , bacon, eggs , biscuits etc.
We eat fish everyday. At least 4 of the eight nights we eat fish when we come in at dark , which is pushing midnight . That makes around 12 meals of fish in eight days. Mid week we do make a couple pizzas . Another couple is going with us this year . We told them what we eat and they said that's about what they do when they go. To break this up a little , one day we have fish and potatoes and the next we have potates and fish . We make slaw and put in container in fridge so we don't have to make it everyday.
I am ready to fish and eat fish . 4 week to go !