Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Shopping new boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default Shopping new boat

I've been looking at new boats for the past couple of months. I've been pretty much set on the Lund Impact XS 1875 and a 150 Merc. I added a lot of options and ended up at $47-50K depending on the dealer. Recently I made the mistake of checking out the Ranger MS 1880. I've not really been a glass boat guy in the past but the Ranger has a lot of things stock that I have to add to the Lund. I do see some distinct storage advantages in the Lund, but the Ranger is kind of like the hot chick that moved in down the block and I can't get her out of my head...

I've read about Lund quality going downhill post Brunswick acquisition, but my Explorer was a 2008 and it seemed fine. Now there's a lot of talk about Ranger quality, delivery etc going WAY downhill recently.

I guess I'm going to have to go to a dealer that has both side by side and do a comparison. In the meantime I'm open to suggestions.

Primary use is fishing (trolling) with 2 young grandsons (5 and 8) and possibly an adult or two. Future plans would possibly include some tubing and rec use.
Solix 12 G1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Give a call to Rapid Marine in Ham Lake Minnesota. They sell both Lund & Ranger. They might have both on the floor to compare. Check the warranties on both and make your deal. You will need to price both with the same motor to figure out what they are pricing the hulls at.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Wallhanger

another choice might be MW Marine near Milwaukee, they appear to have one of each in inventory.

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Wallhanger

Take a look at the Kodiak and Frontier models . . . good quality and lots of value to boat..

http://www.polarkraft.com/

Maybe a boat show in the near future to compare ? ? ?
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post
Give a call to Rapid Marine in Ham Lake Minnesota. They sell both Lund & Ranger. They might have both on the floor to compare. Check the warranties on both and make your deal. You will need to price both with the same motor to figure out what they are pricing the hulls at.

Thanks,

Been talking to Jeff at the Ham Lake store about the Lund and recently the Ranger. I hope to get over to see the boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
another choice might be MW Marine near Milwaukee, they appear to have one of each in inventory.

HRG
Thanks for the heads up. MW was on my list of possible stops earlier this year when looking at Lund exclusively, but our route did not take us there.

Worst part in all this is the Ranger dealers are all around 3hrs away. Lund 1 hr. Never had my Lund to the dealer in 10 yrs of ownership, but driving 3 hrs round trip to shop on a Saturday can be quite tedious.
Solix 12 G1

Last edited by Diesel Pro; 11-01-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

As far as warranty work goes. The Ranger maybe a bit of a drive but there really isn't anything that goes wrong with the hull that is a drop everything and get to the dealer issue. Usually you can schedule that stuff during the winter and not lose fishing time. As far as the motor goes any Merc shop can work on a Merc. any Yamaha shop can work on a Yamaha. Yes, you might not be on the front of the line but if it's something simple I wouldn't let that get in the way. While we all know and say a good dealer is "priceless" what we really mean is know and stay away from a bad dealer.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM
Wallhanger

If you are considering glass, and looking at Lund and Ranger, wouldn't it make sense to compare the 189 pro v gl, or the 189 tyee to the Ranger 1880MS?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Wallhanger

I highly recommend looking at all the quality brands in that class. Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, Ranger, Skeeter, Yearcraft, Warroir, etc..
You might be surprised to find a real bargain or features you hadn't considered.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Wallhanger

I'm a little bit confused here (not the first time). Having recently seen the 1875 Impact XS talked about, I googled the 1850 XS to see if it was still in production for 2018. So, I see the 2018 Impact XS advertised, but the pictures on the dealer sites show boats with 1875 XS pictured. The length of the 1850 XS is 18' 9". Did they add a few inches to the 1875, or is it the same hull? The reason I ask, is that I bought a 1850 Impact in 2016, pretty well loaded up with options. The price, including tax and transport, barely touched $40,000.00. I realize the prices on all boats are going up, but that seems like a pretty steep rise in two years, unless they made some significant improvements to the hull.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Wallhanger

The price seems high to me also.