Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat Anchor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-25-2018, 10:17 AM
Minnow

Smile Boat Anchor

Just finalized boat purchase and rigging is to be finished in one week! Need boat anchor and life jacket suggestions: have 2 kids 8 and 6. Boat is 2018 1900 TYEE, I already have 2 adult mustang auto PDF. also need fenders . First time boat owner. Thanks for any help in advance
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Minnow

Congratulations on the new boat! I would recommend just picking up a 15 or 20# river anchor (they have three blades on them) and see if that will meet your needs. Depending on your use and water conditions this will probably work for most. In the future if you find it doesn't work to hold the boat just use it to anchor the back of the boat to keep it from swinging in rough conditions.

More importantly, for the life jackets for your kids make sure you get the appropriate sizing. It would be best to take them to a retailer and have them try them on. You don't want the life jacket to be to large or loose otherwise it is possible for kids to slip through the bottom of the jacket. I would assume they will be doing some tubing or other recreational water activities. My daughter (now 15) has always liked the neoprene life jackets for water sports.

For the boat fenders, it really depends on what you will be using them for. I was just at Cabelas yesterday and saw some inflatable fenders that would be great for occasional use. I will probably be picking up a few in the near future.

There are all types of different accessories for boats, their functionality depends on how you use your boat. What works great for one person may not be the best solution for you. My recommendation would be to use the boat for awhile and figure out what is best for you. That being said, the one thing you should never skimp on or be afraid to spend money on is the safety equipment your family uses.

Again, congratulations on the new boat!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Minnow

Default Boat Anchor

Thanks ! I will mainly fish the Erie basin and lake ST Clair. Watersports at Sterling state park. On the subject of safety do I also need a ship to shore radio, I know that cell phones lose signals on the water?
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with bringing the kids to the store. Let them pick their jackets don't make them wear the orange ones that go around the neck. Have them pick a really cool jacket that they will want to wear. You spent good money on a boat so don't skimp on safety items for the family or yourself.

Congrats!!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:36 AM
Minnow

I'm not sure about either of those locations, I am in MN. The little I know about fishing the great lakes though is that it may not be the best for someone that is an inexperienced boat operator. The only reason I say that is I noticed your post said you are a first time boat owner. The radio would be a good idea to provide another means of communication though. I have one, never had to use it to ask for help but it never hurts to have additional safety equipment.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Boat Anchor

I've fished Erie and Lake ST Clair all of my life, just on someone else's boat! This will be my first time owning my own boat, I have driven boats! Just not my own!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 PM
Keeper

We bought some of the basic orange life preservers to keep in the boat to ensure we always had enough to be legal (we do a lot of slow pleasure cruises around a small lake and take family, friends, etc.). Then we got nice life jackets in the correct sizes for the people that would be in the boat most often (and would be along on a Canada trip) so they could be worn on bigger lakes, for water sports, etc.

Don't forget to get a type IV throwable as well.

Anchors will depend on the places you're using the boat. We have a 30# river anchor that we use at the front of the boat and a 20# that can be used to hold the rear on a 1850 Reata.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:37 PM
Keeper

I agree take kids and let them choose their own life jacket that fits snugly. Your kids will need a couple of life jackets in the next few years. You will want a couple of noodles as well. The kids love them. Congratulations on the new boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 05:31 AM
Wallhanger

the best anchors I've found are the slip ring style. cabelas has the slip ring mechanical bass pro has the slip ring anchor or the tie down hooker quik set anchor. but you still need about 4' to 6' of 3/8 chain with plenty of rope. the western basin you should have 150' of 5/16 or 3/8 anchor rope. the central basin you should has at least 150' of the same size rope. i have 300' of 5/16 rope stored on a orange extension cord reel from lowe's. in deep rough water it takes a lot af rope for the anchor to hold.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Mr,
I would always have at least two anchors on the boat.

If you get into a pickle and need the boat to be held in place, you may need more than one anchor to hold you.

Also, if working a particular spot, and you don't want the boat swinging you need one anchor on the boat - Primary anchor, as well as another anchor on the stern - Secondary anchor.

Any anchor will hold better with the addition of 3-4 feet of chain. Also, by hooking the chain permanently to the anchor with a threaded coupler, and then use an anchor clevis to connect the nylon anchor rope to the clevis, you don't have to worry about wear on the rope from the rope rubbing against the bottom. The chain will take the bottom wear and tear and the rope will be above the bottom.

I use 3/8th nylon anchor rope - in 50 foot lengths. If I need more than 50 feet, I will use an anchor clevis to connect a 2nd or 3rd 50 foot section of rope to the first section. Normally the anchor ropes come with a thimble woven into the end of the rope. This works excellent with the use of an anchor clevis. I weave another large loop on the other end of the rope for easy connection to a boat cleat or to another rope with an anchor clevis:

--------------------
Anchor chain:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sho...4746?Ntt=chain

Chain connector to connect the chain to the anchor:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/hil...in%20connector

Anchor clevis:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/har...in%20connector

I keep a half dozen of these clevises on the boat for making any kind of chain, anchor and or rope connections:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/har...in%20connector

Anchor rope:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/sea...08|10762|10763

By the way, remove this snap from the end of the anchor rope and keep it on hand for the times that you want to use the rope for a lead rope to snap to the bow eye of your rope.
But DO NOT use this type snap to connect the anchor to your rope. I have lost at least 5 anchors - ( I must be a slow learner) - using a snap like this one. This is why I switched to an anchor clevis to make the rope to anchor chain connection. The anchor clevis will not come loose. But, a bot moving about in waves and wind, can unsnap itself and the anchor will be lost at the bottom of the lake or river.

This is the anchor rope that I use, complete with the braided in thimble for the anchor connection:
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/att...08|10762|10763

The three twist line can be easily braided so that you do not have any bulky knots in your anchoring system.

A video on how to splice a loop into the end of a rope.
In addition to the use of tape to tape the ends of each nylon rope strand, I use a torch and a rag to first heat, and melt and then form the ends of each strand so that none of the strand fiber come unwound. Put the end of each rope strand in the flame of a torch or the flame of a gas stove and heat until the end of the robe begins to burn. The, take a thick towel or cloth to grab the end of the burning strand to extinguish the fire and to pull the strands together in the from of a slim pointed end This will allow for easy loop braiding in the rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVfTRL3PhgU

----------------------
I use two of these Navy Anchors. One 15 lb anchor and one 20 lb anchor. I will use the lightest one that will hold the boat for the conditions that the boat is in:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/rol...08|10762|10763

A nice thing about the Navy anchor in addition to holding well, is that when in the boat, the end folds flat so it occupies little storage room.

========================
For certain bottoms the use of the large water spike anchor is the perfect anchor to use with your boat, as long as you have at least 4 feet of chain attached to the anchor to get it initially hooked up In the right bottom, these very light anchors hold better than about any other anchor and you don't get a hernia pulling up an equal holding 30 lb anchor:

https://www.amazon.com/Marinetech-55.../dp/B001B985P6