Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Non Skid Tape or Pad for Ranger 1880 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 AM
Minnow

Default Non Skid Tape or Pad for Ranger 1880

I just took my new Ranger 1880 Angler out for the first time yesterday. The only thing i noticed that i didn't like was the lack of a non-skid surface on the bow of the boat. The open spot next to the trolling motor where I would step to jump off and on when pulling up to a dock. I can already see my wife or daughter slipping with wet feet. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good non-skid product that still looks good?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Keeper

So many options out there you really need to just get on Google or Amazon and see which one you like. "Looks good" is subjective. Some are like sandpaper and very non-slip. Others are textured rubber with less anti-slip properties (but still 1000X better than wet fiberglass).
Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Wallhanger

3M makes a product called Saftey Walk. It comes in Black a, gray and clear. Take a Look (if you are not familiar with) with what Just Encase does with Deck Boxes for Musky Fishing. They use this product on top of the deck boxes so you can stand on them without slipping. It works awesome. I have had one of the boxes in my last two boats and have spent 100's of hours standing on it. The only issue may be finding a small enough section to buy. I am not sure how small of a piece you can buy.

Last edited by Mojo1269; 05-09-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

I had Skeeter Boat Center install a step pad on my Skeeter. It was thin with a anti slip grit. Almost like sand paper. I don't know if the pieces were pre-cut or if they cut them off a roll. I think I had it put in 4 different entry points. Loved it. Gave people a idea where to step when entering and exiting the boat.

Sorry I don't know what it was called but like mentioned try Google.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1269 View Post
3M makes a product called Saftey Walk. It comes in Black a, gray and clear. Take a Look (if you are not familiar with) with what Just Encase does with Deck Boxes for Musky Fishing. They use this product on top of the deck boxes so you can stand on them without slipping. It works awesome. I have had one of the boxes in my last two boats and have spent 100's of hours standing on it. The only issue may be finding a small enough section to buy. I am not sure how small of a piece you can buy.

Definitely use the 3M product designed for boats. It is more of a textured rubber like material. Last for ever and is easy to cut and apply. You can buy many different sizes and colors from West Marine or any good marine store.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 AM
Wallhanger

Just installed two on the bow of my boat last night for those exact reasons. The ones I had on my last boat were very similar to the safety walk tape except they were a pre-cut pad. basically a greyish 160 or so grit sand paper. I bought some more of those but also ordered some boat trailer step pads which were a little more aggressive and had a bit of a brownish color matching my boat better. I suppose these are closer to a 60-80 grit sand type adhesive paper. They're a little more aggressive than I preferred but they matched the boat color-wise and the size fit a little better. I would also note they keep those traffic areas where people get in and out of the boat from getting scratched up. Seems like someone always has some sand or gravel on there shoes and then inadvertently scratch up the gunnels.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

here are a few of the options I looked at / used;

https://www.gator-guards.com/replace...ailer-fenders/

http://www.seadek.com/p-17-step-kit-...1275-each.aspx

https://www.kofflersales.com/p/3m-sa...SABEgIMjvD_BwE

These are what I ended up using; Guess they are 100 grit;
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p.../non-skid-pads

these are what I had on my last boat;
https://www.basscatstore.com/fenders.aspx
Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

I know I tend to get ticked off when people tell me what I'm wanting to do can be done easier, but I have to say: I find it easy enough to step from carpet across the gunnel. Try stepping in the area that the trailer step pad is located. Otherwise a non skid tape I guess.
Solix 12 G1
Old 05-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
I know I tend to get ticked off when people tell me what I'm wanting to do can be done easier, but I have to say: I find it easy enough to step from carpet across the gunnel. Try stepping in the area that the trailer step pad is located. Otherwise a non skid tape I guess.
It's not himself he is stopping from stepping in the wrong places. It's guests. In his case he was worried about the bow. In my case it was the sides and rear where people would step on and not over the fiberglass. The pads just gives those people a target and protects the boat at the same time. Not a necessary thing but not a thing that hurts anything either.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:36 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the all the great info, i will check into these and try to get something installed soon.