Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2 surprises crossing border at International Falls May 2019 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

In Minnesota, under certain circumstances if convicted of DWI, you will be issued "whiskey plates" which start with the letter W.

https://brunolaw.com/resources/dui-d...s-in-minnesota
Yamaha 50 tiller
Minn Kota Terrova 12V
Humminbird 898, Helix 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 08:02 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

In this case it was a vanity plate that started with a W.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:11 AM
Wallhanger

Sometimes on YouTube, I watch episodes of "Nothing to Declare" or "Border Security Canada's Front Line", both shows about the Canadian Border Patrol. In one of the episodes, they took the boards an RV owner uses to level his RV when camping because the boards were untreated lumber.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
Where's the pot store in Fort Francis?
Do they have web site?
Guessing they don't have one?
Old 07-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugler View Post
Sometimes on YouTube, I watch episodes of "Nothing to Declare" or "Border Security Canada's Front Line", both shows about the Canadian Border Patrol. In one of the episodes, they took the boards an RV owner uses to level his RV when camping because the boards were untreated lumber.
Reminds me of years ago fishing Big Gull Lake, Ontario with the family and found a great looking piece of driftwood on the shore near the boat launch.........I asked the owners if I could have the drift wood and they said SURE........so I threw it in the boat and at the border they asked if I purchased anything in CanaDA and bring it back to the U.S.A. . . . . . I said no and away I went and we still have that piece of Canadian drift wood in our yard. Although it wasn't pressure treated it was water treated..........LOL

BTW untreated lumber crosses the border all the time via rail..........go figure.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 07-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
We were asked about fruit on the way back into the US. The only other somewhat odd question was going into Canada the agent asked about where the license plate was for the front of the vehicle. It had come off and was in the vehicle so they were fine with that explanation. Then the agent asked what the W at the beginning of the plate number meant. The plate number was the owner’s old boat numbers and that answer was accepted. Apparently, a license plate in Canada starting in a W may indicate that the owner of the vehicle may have a DUI on their record.

PjShorthorn
In Minnesota there are plates that start with a W and we call them Whiskey plates. It is someone who has been ticketed for a DWI and there original plates are impounded. If they need to drive to work etc then they get the plain white plate with black lettering starting with a W.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Reminds me of years ago fishing Big Gull Lake, Ontario with the family and found a great looking piece of driftwood on the shore near the boat launch.........I asked the owners if I could have the drift wood and they said SURE........so I threw it in the boat and at the border they asked if I purchased anything in CanaDA and bring it back to the U.S.A. . . . . . I said no and away I went and we still have that piece of Canadian drift wood in our yard. Although it wasn't pressure treated it was water treated..........LOL

BTW untreated lumber crosses the border all the time via rail..........go figure.

Thought you hated Canada and would never go there?
Old 07-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
I got checked by the OPP on the St Lawrence a couple weeks ago. Asked for I.D, boat registration, fishing license, any alcohol or MJ. They were very nice and I had all my papers. They did ask me to open my cooler. No questions about fish caught or asking to open the livewell. No questions on safety equipment either. First time in 11 years and and about 4 weeks of fishing each year.

Whereabouts were you fishing on the Larry?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
Entering into Ontario we were asked if we had CBD oil. Has anyone else been asked same? question?

Returning to U.S. we were asked if we had fresh fruit? Anyone else get that question?
Yes just crossed a week and a half ago and was asked about CBD oil. I was also asked about fruit and fish coming home.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
Whereabouts were you fishing on the Larry?
Gananoque area.