Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dipsy/Jet Divers w/diving lures - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 06-26-2020, 02:33 PM
Keeper

Default Dipsy/Jet Divers w/diving lures

When using Dipsy divers or one of the available jet diver assortments and a large lipped lure will the lure dive deeper then what the divers are set for ?

If the lure should dive to 12-14’ at a set speed/line out, will it be running that far below the divers that are pulling it ?
Heritage Custom Bunk-Torsion Axle w/Vault hubs
Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Longbed 8spd. or 2016 Winnebago 38Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 04:54 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
When using Dipsy divers or one of the available jet diver assortments and a large lipped lure will the lure dive deeper then what the divers are set for ?

If the lure should dive to 12-14’ at a set speed/line out, will it be running that far below the divers that are pulling it ?
won't work. If you pull down on the rear of the dipsy it will not dive. A small lip is fine or some other type of lure like a lightweight spoon but not a deep diving lure. All planing divers all need that angle to go deep.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post

Yes, that is exactly how it works. The curvature of the line between the dipsy and the lure is not affected by the dipsy. The lure will actually affect the depth that the Dipsy runs at. The lure is exerting a diving force as well as a drag force on the Dipsy Diver.

As was mentioned, if the lure is too large I can see how that would interfere with the Dipsy.

The calculation that the Troll Master app runs predicts the curvature of the line for your rig....this is how it lets you add weight, divers, change leaders, change speeds, etc...

Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
won't work. If you pull down on the rear of the dipsy it will not dive. A small lip is fine or some other type of lure like a lightweight spoon but not a deep diving lure. All planing divers all need that angle to go deep.
Yep!! Can't run deep divers off them. Not to mention, you'd probably end up with a twisted mess.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMasterCalculator View Post
Yes, that is exactly how it works. The curvature of the line between the dipsy and the lure is not affected by the dipsy. The lure will actually affect the depth that the Dipsy runs at. The lure is exerting a diving force as well as a drag force on the Dipsy Diver.

As was mentioned, if the lure is too large I can see how that would interfere with the Dipsy.

The calculation that the Troll Master app runs predicts the curvature of the line for your rig....this is how it lets you add weight, divers, change leaders, change speeds, etc...

Trevor
It is not the size of the lure,it is the downward force that flattens the angle of the diver reducing the water pressure against it. A heavy weight will do a similar thing. As Custom said there will probably be some spinning involved as well.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:16 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
It is not the size of the lure,it is the downward force that flattens the angle of the diver reducing the water pressure against it. A heavy weight will do a similar thing. As Custom said there will probably be some spinning involved as well.

Yep, agreed...
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Keeper

Thanks to all that answered my question.
Heritage Custom Bunk-Torsion Axle w/Vault hubs
Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Longbed 8spd. or 2016 Winnebago 38Q
Old 06-26-2020, 07:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Eyes View Post
Yep!! Can't run deep divers off them. Not to mention, you'd probably end up with a twisted mess.
I’ve heard this and believe it. What I haven’t yet seen any advice on is:

How shallow a diver should a lure be if you’re going to use it behind a dipsy diver? Or asked another way, how deep a diver can be used without it interfering with the dipsy properly doing its job?

Gerry
Old 06-27-2020, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

For me the indication would be an oscillation on the rod tip. Water pressure being built up against the face of the diver and then released by the changing angle of the divers face. If we want a rule of thumb, I would say if the lure will dive over 10' on its own it will have that effect. Part of the usefulness of a diver is to get smaller or less aggressive lures deep as at times that what the fish want. This is all my perception as I have never witnessed the process from down in the water. Bob
Old 06-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
I’ve heard this and believe it. What I haven’t yet seen any advice on is:

How shallow a diver should a lure be if you’re going to use it behind a dipsy diver? Or asked another way, how deep a diver can be used without it interfering with the dipsy properly doing its job?

Gerry

I would just rig one up and then run it so the Dipsy is only a few feet under water. Let it run like that for a bit and see if it is stable.

I don't think this is something that will be a simple rule of thumb thing since the force that the lure exerts on the Dipsy is a combination of drag and diving forces. It's also a situation that involves the stability of the Dipsy. As the drag and diving forces increase, the Dipsy will become less stable.