Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
HVAC guys step inside - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2021, 12:44 PM
Wallhanger

GDI - I have a 1550 square ft 2 story home with a full finished basement. We replaced both the furnace and air conditioner last year, June. The furnace is a 66,000 BTU unit https://resources.lennox.com/fileupl...e_Brochure.pdf and the air conditioner is a 2.5 ton unit https://www.lennox.com/products/heat...ioners/ml14xc1. Both units have done a fantastic job to date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2021, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenW View Post

fwiw I went with one size larger for the A/C.........................

Al
FWIW oversizing you AC unit isn't really a good idea. By doing so could cause the unit to short cycle, meaning it would cool your house down too quickly and shut down before the appropriate amount of humidity has been removed for the air. AC isn't just about cooling.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3M TA3 View Post
FWIW oversizing you AC unit isn't really a good idea. By doing so could cause the unit to short cycle, meaning it would cool your house down too quickly and shut down before the appropriate amount of humidity has been removed for the air. AC isn't just about cooling.
Yes, but rarely does the numbers come out to what unit sizes are out there, better imho to go over than under.
Having spent way to much time in the field explaining to customers why their units won't cool or heat during heavy load times, because some salesman sold them a smaller/cheaper unit to make the sale.

Al
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2021, 07:04 PM
Slot Fish

I'm going to suggest an alternative with some trepidation - My oil forced air furnace and A/C units were due to be replaced. I looked at options and went with a high cost upfront and low recurring cost in a Geothermal system. Heating A/C and hot water from one system - payback for me was 8 years.
12 years after, still going strong
Old 02-01-2021, 07:26 PM
Slot Fish

Ever thought about Mini split option? It may not be applicable in your retro fit... but may be worth it ask for a bid?

Extremely efficient and each area/ head is individually controlled. Provides both heat and AC

I really like mine.

dan or